Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Finished reading Daphne Du Maurier's The Flight of the Falcon. A good and interesting mystery set in 1965 Italy with reflections back to Italy of WW2. Thought provoking comment in the Introduction to the edition that had me thinking..indeed...

'(the conflict between the brothers)...may not seem too extreme to those who remember how nations have been swayed to commit and justify acts of atrocity under the influence of a charismatic leader.'

Anyway - for something completely different. A book that I have known all of my life as it was my mum's and it sat in our family home bookcase for as as long as I can remember...she'd have got it in her early 20s. I never read it...but I know my dad has and now I will. P.C.Wren's Beau Geste

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just finished the final instalment of the Bernard Sampson books (Game, Set & Match , Hook, Line0 & Sinker , Faith, Hope & Charity) - thoroughly enjoyed them all.

Now I've started Kleptopia, by Tom Burgis6
It's a novel style, non-fiction, about financial corruption, money laundering, dark money, shell corporations and political lobbying.

I only heard of it because recently the books main antagonists, a Kazak company called ENRC tried to prevent it's release, and tried to sue the publishers. So it came more into the public consciousness.

It's opened well, so hopefully will carry on and improve ??

A good read - recently finished it and now on another Tom Burgis book - The Looting Machine - Warlords, Tycoons, Smugglers and the Systematic Theft of Africa's Wealth.

Both books are fairly damning in their revelations - and even though one was already aware of some of shenanigans, I doubt one will ever look at big 'resource' businesses and politicians without suspicion again.

Carlwm

Visit site
Finished reading Daphne Du Maurier's The Flight of the Falcon. A good and interesting mystery set in 1965 Italy with reflections back to Italy of WW2. Thought provoking comment in the Introduction to the edition that had me thinking..indeed...

'(the conflict between the brothers)...may not seem too extreme to those who remember how nations have been swayed to commit and justify acts of atrocity under the influence of a charismatic leader.'

Anyway - for something completely different. A book that I have known all of my life as it was my mum's and it sat in our family home bookcase for as as long as I can remember...she'd have got it in her early 20s. I never read it...but I know my dad has and now I will. P.C.Wren's Beau Geste

Beau Geste is a fine novel. If you enjoy it, its loose sequels are worth looking up too.

D

Deleted member 1147

Just finished Mick Herron's Slow Horses, on which the recent TV series is based.

Not bad, so may read some more from the series.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just read How not to run a football club by Nathan Fogg about Blackpool FC and the Oyston family, and also Fledging by Hannah Bourne-Taylor a nature memoir

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Beau Geste is a fine novel. If you enjoy it, its loose sequels are worth looking up too.
Beau Geste done and dusted. It may be from 1924 but what a cracking adventure and read. Much recommended. I can now watch the 1939 film adaptation starring Gary Cooper, Ray Millard and Robert Preston. Always an issue that for me. Watch film or read book first.

Next up...The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just finished Bobby Gillespie's Tenement Kid. For the uninitiated, he is the lead singer with Primal Scream.

It's surprisingly well written, and his formative years were very much like mine - born a year after me, grew up in a Glasgow slum, mad about Celtic and punk rock as a teenager.

Keeping on with the music theme, I'm about to start Lonely Boy by Steve Jones. It's the basis for Danny Boyle's Pistol series.

After that, it's The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles. I loved A Gentleman in Moscow, The Rules of Civility less so. Hopefully this is up to the standard of the former.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just finished Bobby Gillespie's Tenement Kid. For the uninitiated, he is the lead singer with Primal Scream.

It's surprisingly well written, and his formative years were very much like mine - born a year after me, grew up in a Glasgow slum, mad about Celtic and punk rock as a teenager.

Keeping on with the music theme, I'm about to start Lonely Boy by Steve Jones. It's the basis for Danny Boyle's Pistol series.

After that, it's The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles. I loved A Gentleman in Moscow, The Rules of Civility less so. Hopefully this is up to the standard of the former.
Will check out Tenement Kid as I also was a Glasgow tenement kid. Ours wasn't a slum but it was slipping down the Mount Florida hill and our close is no longer there. We moved from MF 6 yrs before Gillespie moved there but I remember growing up there quite clearly.

Last edited:

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Just finished The Hunt for the Silver Killer by David Collins (after seeing it mentioned in The Times). Quite alarming but very much a non-fiction page-turner.

Carlwm

Visit site
Beau Geste done and dusted. It may be from 1924 but what a cracking adventure and read. Much recommended. I can now watch the 1939 film adaptation starring Gary Cooper, Ray Millard and Robert Preston. Always an issue that for me. Watch film or read book first.

Next up...The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton.

The Miniaturist is another corker! (y)