Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

I'm sure the books are great, they wont have brenda Blethyn's awful accent in them. If only she had followed the Sean Connery approach to accents ?

I often wish actors would do that - so many bad Russians in particular, over the years.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Finally got my paws on John Connolly's-A Time Of Torment-one of the recommended Charlie Parker series, by someone on here- so no doubt it'll be great;)
Still trying to get through 'Landslide-The final days of trump' and also 'All Out War-The full story of how BREXIT sank Britain's Political class'
They confirm ( in my mind at least ) that both TRUMP and JOHNSTON are paranoid headcases, and should be in psychriatic institutions!!:rolleyes:

Charlie Parker novels are superb but they do need reading in order as it is an ongoing storyline..

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Charlie Parker novels are superb but they do need reading in order as it is an ongoing storyline..
Thank you kind sir, I've had a request into my local library now for -6wks? now, but actually found this one by accident on 'Returns' shelf:rolleyes:
Asked the girl if any news about my 'ordering the series?..Full of apologies, but could'nt find it on the 'new-super dooper computer system'--Oh, really? Well that's weird 'cos it was you who put the request in for me:(
Give the girl her due right enough...said the series seems to be v.popular + the new system is a load of :poop: with all sorts of hassles being thrown up-needless to say, no-one from management in the building to be asked questions of- now isn't that a surprise????:whistle::whistle:

RichardRichieRich

Visit site
I am currently reading Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I think it's one of the best works, not only by him but in world literature in general. I decided to redesign our university newspaper and Mark Twain inspired me to do so.Are there any more young writers here? I wanted to exchange experiences on the subject of newspaper design. I'm just not good with graphic editors and so far I've been using the newspaper template from this site https://thegoodocs.com/freebies/newspaper-templates/. I'm interested in opinions from the outside. Is it as good as I was recommended?

Last edited:

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The DCI Daley novels by DENZIL MEYRICK, just about finished the first one 'Whisky in small glasses'
Got to say that they are good reading, some good characters throughout the series.
My favourite has got to be Brian Scott ( don't know what it is but somehow seem to relate to him more easily than the other bods involved;))
Laid my grubby little paws on 2 of the Daniel Silva series ( as recco'd on here )-was up rather late this a.m. getting halfway thro' 'The Black Widow'-good, believable premis for story!!
Finished 'Landslide-Trump, The last 100 days'--guy was totally off his head-actually quite frightening that someone with such an ego, level of inattention and high levels of basic stupidity could get his finger on the nuclear button--OOPS, wait have we not got the Eton version:rolleyes: in No.10 + a load of chancers going along for the ride/money??)
Am I allowed to say-'God help us'?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Man who Died Twice, the latest Richard Osman book. Just as good as his first Thursday Murder Club, this is a sequel.

All very jolly, all very English, great characters. A book to make the world seem that bit nicer.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Resurrection Men, Ian Rankin. The first Rebus book that I haven't enjoyed. Annoyingly I'm going to have to finish it in case anything happens that impacts later books. Disappointing.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So have caught up with the Jack Reacher and Mitch Rapp series of books so looking for something else to start, any suggestions ?
Ta.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
So have caught up with the Jack Reacher and Mitch Rapp series of books so looking for something else to start, any suggestions ?
Ta.
Because I haven’t commuted for 2 years now I am behind in both.
Does Reacher go upmarket? I see he has a sponsorship deal with Charles Tyrwhitt, and as far as I read he was always a buy and dump kind of guy ;-)

If you like Reacher more try John Milton, if you preferred Rapp then Scott Harvard might be a good next step.

D

Deleted member 1147

Le Carre's The Honourable Schoolboy, the second part of the Smiley/Karla Trilogy

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because I haven’t commuted for 2 years now I am behind in both.
Does Reacher go upmarket? I see he has a sponsorship deal with Charles Tyrwhitt, and as far as I read he was always a buy and dump kind of guy ;-)

If you like Reacher more try John Milton, if you preferred Rapp then Scott Harvard might be a good next step.

Prefer Reacher but will look into both thanks