Booking a UK golf break - any tips

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

A few of us (4) are looking to book a uk golf break for October (Porthmadog looks to be number 1 choice at the moment, we’re after a links course).

What’s your experience of booking golf breaks? Is it much cheaper to book directly with the club and find your own accommodation, or best to use someone like golfbreaks? Is there a time of year that they’re likely to drop their prices?

Any tips much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 21258

We always book direct, just to be in control of the arrangements and we can also pick where we stay.

Not always cheaper tho.

Portmadog just for info, is just over half parkland(so so) and part links (the links has some stunning views across the 'bay' and great fun), winter would give better rates but then the weather can not be so good. Decide on budget, time of year and look on websites to confirm approx. prices.

Royal St Davids has a dormy and its been recently redone btwhttps://www.royalstdavids.co.uk/dormy-accommodation (Aberdovey also has a dormy), if you are looking at other link courses in that area.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Princes GC do a great all-inclusive deals (including other links courses - Royal St G's and Cinq Ports) - depends whether you want to stay in a Town for some life in the evening?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
any particular reason you want to go in October?? true you can get lucky and prob a bit cheaper but that wouldn't be my first choice of date, usually coincides with course maintenance and bad weather

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I looked at North Wales last year (never went and we've moved to Spain now do not happening anytime soon), but there's a Haven site - Greenacres - just past the golf club at Porthmadog. I know when I looked you could rent a caravan for not a lot of money.
Worth considering if you don't mind a bit of self catering

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks all. Looking at October because it’s the next time we’re all free for a full weekend or not on hols.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I went with YGT - When we booked we only had to pay a £35 deposit each and we just had to settle the rest 6 weeks prior. Found it very easy.