BMW championship May

WingerJT

Visit site
Fairy new to golf but I’ve bought tickets for myself and a buddy to go on the Tuesday, a practise day. Just wondering if anyone else had been and if it’s still a good day out ?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It’s a great day, the Wednesday is the day I go, pro am day
You will find it fairly relaxed, able to get close to the players without the huge crowds.

There will be a timetable so you know who’s going out and when.
Watch a group tee off and follow them up the first, then watch from behind the 2nd green until someone comes through who you fancy following , then keep up with them for a few.

The area around (from memory) the 7th green/ 8th tee/ 10th green/ 11 th tee is a great place to see loads of action , you will also be able to get a seat in the grandstand to see them play the 18th

Don’t forget to visit the Yum Yum girls in their bacon butty wagon

Enjoy

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s a great day, the Wednesday is the day I go, pro am day
You will find it fairly relaxed, able to get close to the players without the huge crowds.

There will be a timetable so you know who’s going out and when.
Watch a group tee off and follow them up the first, then watch from behind the 2nd green until someone comes through who you fancy following , then keep up with them for a few.

The area around (from memory) the 7th green/ 8th tee/ 10th green/ 11 th tee is a great place to see loads of action , you will also be able to get a seat in the grandstand to see them play the 18th

Enjoy

I always went on the Wednesday and stood for ages watching the players on the range. Shame that they now charge as it used to be free

Got to know the girls at Yum Yums pretty well 😀

D

Deleted member 1147

Enjoy

Won’t they have gotten rid of the Yum Yum girls by then?
They’ll have gone the way of the pit girls...it’s pc gone mad I tell yer 🤬

D

Deleted Member 1156

I would also recommend a seat in the stand behind the 14th green (uphill par 3) You'll see lots of players come up short or wide and some real short game magic as they try to save par. Even better when they go long and everything slopes away from them :eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to go to the pro-am day. Normally enough room to move around and see some famous faces and the pros having a bit of fun. My club provides some marshalls as well and trying to get involved in this for the week too

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went to the practice day last year, it was great!

The only downside is you don't know who you will see and when. The players can turn up and practice whenever they want. I got there for gates opening, but actually, the big names didn't go out till a lot later on.

There isn't a timetable of who will be going out when, but it does go on the board at the first tee who has already gone.

It's fun seeing them drop balls and try all kinds of different shots from different places around the greens. It's also great seeing how pros hit the ball (particularly driver) as it's nothing like how amateurs hit it!

D

Deleted member 21258

Been to a couple of opens on practise days and Sunday last year to the BMW. I would choose practise day over say a Sunday comp day, less people around, players more relaxed on and off the course etc, just find it more enjoyable, so go for it.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would also recommend a seat in the stand behind the 14th green (uphill par 3) You'll see lots of players come up short or wide and some real short game magic as they try to save par. Even better when they go long and everything slopes away from them :eek:

Another vote for this. Exactly what me and a mate did on the Thursday last year on our two little camp chairs.

You see the entire field coming to you and there's also a great big telly to the side of the green so you often get a butcher's at the tee shots in close up too.

Halfway back down the hole there's a beer and burger wagon. :thup:

Just great, it was my first time at a pro golf tournamnet and we're doing the same again this year.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As you're fairly new to golf I'd suggest watching them on the range and the putting green. Great to watch but don't be put off by comparing your game to theirs!!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I went for a practice day and the Saturday last year. Great experience and a great course. Snack bars are a bit pricey and food was average but amazing to walk alongside the pros. You’ll love it!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site

i think this was reserved for BMW owners last year, thankfully my wife has one 😎

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
If you have a BMW you can park on site, otherwise it’s park n ride.
They will ask to see your keys at the BMW owners stands and lounges.

But if you are going on the Tuesday, then you’ll have no problem getting into the stands

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always went on the Wednesday and stood for ages watching the players on the range. Shame that they now charge as it used to be free

Got to know the girls at Yum Yums pretty well 

Really?! That's outrageous! How much are they charging? This must be new as we werent charged when we visited the range before the play on Saturday last year.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going Saturday. Would prefer Thursday or Friday but dont fancy contending with the traffic up and down the M3. Or around Virginia Water when we leave.