block shot - cure please

B

birdieman

I play driver, 3 w and most longer clubs generally with a draw - it sets out a little right then comes back to the target line.
Trouble is every so often I get one that goes straight right, it doesn't curve right and doesn't go far right but I end up off the edge of the fairway on the right. It is usually a solid contact it just heads a little right and dead straight.
I feel its a block shot but I'm not sure what causes it - I think it is a lack of right hand speed through the ball so the clubhead lags a little - is that correct?
It's costing me a few shots - blocked my 2nd on 16 t'other night (a 3 wood on a par 5) after a super drive, ended up in an unplayable lie in right rough - it cost me a bogey which I was hacked off at as I was playing rather well (for me!). I remember it was Greg Normans bottler shot when the heat was on but I think he cured it didn't he?
Thanks.
BM

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think you know the answer to this question already.
If the ball starts to the right, the swing path is probably to the right. If it stays straight right, the clubface must be square to the swing path.
When you hit the draw, the face is slightly closed to the swing path.
Does the block happen when youre giving it a bit extra welly?

B

birdieman

Not sure Bob, possibly hitting harder with blocks.
Swing path I'm not sure about either, I've never seen a divot pointing right, ususlaly straight sometimes alittle left early season when I'm over the top a little.
With longer clubs I've always played right to left - I can hit straighter if I stand a little closer or if I tee it down and think about not turning the hands over as much.
Also guilty of coming inside on the takeaway sometimes, if I'm careful with that move and move the club back straighter I slow down and play better.
Confused? - I am. :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Lots of things can contribute to blocked shots so you have to take a look at your own swing and decide which best fits the profile. Your swing could be too flat, your ball positioned too far back especially for your longer clubs, your weight might get stuck on your right side (especially if you're trying to knock the cover off the ball), your release isn't correct through impact... and more. It would be a 'best guess' at least to say what it is without seeing your swing.

hope this helps.
Regards...

donutwheels

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. My off shots are either pushed or occasionally hooked or hit flat.

As mentioned above there could be a number of reasons
1) ball too far back
2) standing too close to the ball (leading to blocked right hip
3) swing plane too flat (take away too far inside the line)
and
my problem...

4)swaying towards the target through the down swing (you only need a very small amount to so this)

I have found that if I stand with my feet too wide apart, if I start to sway in my swing, I will not feel it at all as my wide base masks any loss of balance.

What I do is to take a slightly narrower stance and keep a smooth 'one-and-two' tempo, smooth take away rotating my body. If you sway, you should be able to feel it.

Hope this helps

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This is my bad shot.
I tend to slide my lower half early, leaving the face of the club pointing straight right.
I try and brace my legs a bit more and it seems to work.