Blm-Renaming the masters

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
I understand some issues such as statues of well known slave owners but the Masters tournament... Then again, I am ignorant to the origin of it‘s name but unless it’s something direct I can’t sympathise with this one.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The Masters has some, shall we say "awkward" history in this area though.

I agree it does In regards to racism, but it didn’t take its name from slavery.

The tweet in the op is one of many. Too many people looking for issues that really aren’t considered by the people actually oppressed.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t think they need to change it but let’s face it the club has not got a good history on diversity. Even now, it’s improved opening up membership but is there any real critique on whether they've progressed and actually made the membership more diverse rather than just the headline points.

If they raised this question, and found general consensus that it was offensive to many, so came out and said we’re listening, we’ve not had a great history and we’re going to change it then fair enough. Would it impact my life, no, I still get to watch the same golf tournament and know it’s a major, it’s just improved other people’s engagement.

I’m assuming state and history means it’s very differently perceived by parts of the US than for us in the UK too, although whether it’s more than the twitter posters view I don’t know.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have never, ever heard the phrase Masters and thought about slave masters. Dear oh dear. This is one of the biggest problems with the modern world for me. There's a cause that we should all get on board with and somebody always takes it too far with nonsense like this and risks derailing the whole thing by making it ridiculous.

Diamond

Visit site
It’s not the name that is the problem it is the deep rooted racism that has never gone away and certainly hasn’t gone away from multi millionaire pound country clubs in white America. Changing the name won’t be an issue people will still watch it. But it will show change in equality.