Blades

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I have been thinking recently that if I really want to improve my ball striking I should get myself a set of blades. If I hit off centre with my Mizuno's they do let me know about it because they are forged but the results are usually still pretty good. On the range when I get into a grove I think I get used to the bad contacts as the ball is still going well so I assume I am hitting it fine and move on.

If I were to do it I would probably keep both and have my current set for early season/cold weather and the blades as a practice aid and for when the weather and my ball striking improve.

What you reckon?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have to be honest I dont get the "training aid" angle, if youre that fussed with where you are striking it get some of the clubhead stickers that show you where your mishits are, i really struggle to see how having blades will improve your ball striking

For me you should be spending the £s on lessons to findout where to improve your swing

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
For me GI irons feel numb like hitting the ball with the headcover still on I could not use anything but blades

try the mp68s they are very forgiving for blades

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
Yes I have thought about getting just one club and that is probably where I would start. I do get lessons and try and improve my ball striking but like I said the results of an off centre strike are not as punishing so I can overlook them on the range.

I do have the time and inclination to practice a lot more than I do already. I was just thinking the other day that GI irons may be most suitable to people who don't have time to practice and just want to get out and enjoy playing when they can.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
For a bit of fun, I tried the MP68 last year when searching for new irons. Not as a contender, but just to see what all the fuss was about regarding blades.

Accuracy was as good as any GI iron that was in contention, but distance was very inconsistent. And boy, if you thin one or not catch it quite right, ouch!! I wouldn't want to play them on a frosty winters day. But if you middle it out of the sweetspot, wow.

Since then, I've bought an MP67 6 iron for a fiver that I leave out with the practice net, after-all, I don't want to wear out my 'game' clubs, with the intention of it providing better feel during practice. And to an extent it does work.

I'd love to take a set of 68's out for a round, but my game, though now getting better, is too inconsistent to do them any justice on a bad day.

I'll stick with my GI bats. But, I'd say, do whatever makes you happy.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
What you reckon?

Don't.

Is there any evidence to suggest that playing with blades actually helps anyone improve?

Our club champ (lowest gross score) uses Nike cavities and borrowed his partners spare blades for a while in the hope of somehow "honing" his technique. I didn't work. He went up to 3.6 over a season and kept insisting it would come. It never did.

He uses a beginners utility 3 iron and a mallet putter. The only "pro" clubs in his bag are his wedges. I even think his driver is aimed at the higher handicap player.

He went round in 68 today. 'Phone him and ask his opinion. :cool:

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
What you reckon?

Don't.

Is there any evidence to suggest that playing with blades actually helps anyone improve?

Our club champ (lowest gross score) uses Nike cavities and borrowed his partners spare blades for a while in the hope of somehow "honing" his technique. I didn't work. He went up to 3.6 over a season and kept insisting it would come. It never did.

Interesting

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting

I know, a bit odd.

I tried a set of Mizuno TP blades many years ago. I enjoyed hitting them (when they went well) but it's a bit of a double-edged sword. The good shots are better and the bad one are worse.

I guess if you hit your irons nicely, you could try some.

In fairness to my very "anti" post....the guy I was referring to could probably hit anything and get away with it. It's his short game that keeps him low.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I were to do it I would probably keep both and have my current set for early season/cold weather and the blades as a practice aid and for when the weather and my ball striking improve.

What you reckon?

I reckon you have too much money!

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That old story about all the best ball strikers are using blades is a myth.Why make the game any harder by using a bladed club.Shallow cavity and micro cavity irons provide plenty of feedback and workability,if anybody tells you different,there talking out of there rear.I played scratch league golf for many years,and seen very few players using bladed clubs.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you have spare money and are able to take a hit on them if you dont get on, go for it at least try a set of second hand you never know you might actually like them and get on with them I know I do...