Blades or Cavity backs

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting subject. Mark Crossfield has done some interesting vids recently about this. Basically the whold blades are only for superstars argument seems to be slightly flawed now. With modern club design and technology they are not as penal for misstruck shots as the old butter knife style jobbies. (He has gone back to using blade style clubs from CB's).

I have played with CB's for ages (Ping G10's) I am now looking at some more bladey style clubs. My biggest gripe with cavity backs is the flier style hits you get on ocassion and the boomers when you absolutely stripe them. They are forgiving, but to me now a bit like a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Really looking forward to trying some i200's, Mizzy's or something similar just to see what the difference is and to see if the playability is a reality or fantasy with my meagre skills.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting subject. Mark Crossfield has done some interesting vids recently about this. Basically the whold blades are only for superstars argument seems to be slightly flawed now. With modern club design and technology they are not as penal for misstruck shots as the old butter knife style jobbies. (He has gone back to using blade style clubs from CB's).

I have played with CB's for ages (Ping G10's) I am now looking at some more bladey style clubs. My biggest gripe with cavity backs is the flier style hits you get on ocassion and the boomers when you absolutely stripe them. They are forgiving, but to me now a bit like a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Really looking forward to trying some i200's, Mizzy's or something similar just to see what the difference is and to see if the playability is a reality or fantasy with my meagre skills.

Those Mp-18s though...
DROOOOOOL!

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Need to stop myself from ordering the MP18's in a split set.

I am not a Cat 1 handicapper but I don't care one jot. Its my money and my enjoyment and looking down on a sexy slim irons is one thing that makes me want to play and hit them well. If you want them test them and purchase regardless of your ability.

D

Deleted Member 1156

My biggest gripe with cavity backs is the flier style hits you get on ocassion and the boomers when you absolutely stripe them.

Don't want to burst your bubble but it's not the club that causes fliers it's the grass trapped between ball and club. You'll get them with any style of club.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't want to burst your bubble but it's not the club that causes fliers it's the grass trapped between ball and club. You'll get them with any style of club.

^^correct^^ there are other ways to overshoot targets, low spin / low launch but generally a "flyer" is just that - no matter what club

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

That's a very interesting video thanks, mirrors a lot of what I read in this article that I can no longer find. It's qhy I asked the question essentially.

I've got a suspicion that the mantra of blades are hard to hit so use cavity backs has just been ingrained in golfers over so many years when that would have well been the case, where blades were terribly unforgiving. But with advancements in technology and design it seems blades are no longer as bad as they were, and maybe the uptake is just because everyone has accepted that they are hard to hit without actually hitting them.

I am going to get out on the range and try out a few blades to see how they stack up

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Need to stop myself from ordering the MP18's in a split set.

I am not a Cat 1 handicapper but I don't care one jot. Its my money and my enjoyment and looking down on a sexy slim irons is one thing that makes me want to play and hit them well. If you want them test them and purchase regardless of your ability.

This is the correct attitude to equipment issues!

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
^^correct^^ there are other ways to overshoot targets, low spin / low launch but generally a "flyer" is just that - no matter what club

Yup totally agree. But I was commenting on flier "type" hits as opposed to fliers per se. You get the same low spin flying shot but from a fairway/nice lie. Don't know if that happens with blades too as never tried them, but if it cuts down on them, then I would be happy.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's a very interesting video thanks, mirrors a lot of what I read in this article that I can no longer find. It's qhy I asked the question essentially. I've got a suspicion that the mantra of blades are hard to hit so use cavity backs has just been ingrained in golfers over so many years when that would have well been the case, where blades were terribly unforgiving. But with advancements in technology and design it seems blades are no longer as bad as they were, and maybe the uptake is just because everyone has accepted that they are hard to hit without actually hitting them. I am going to get out on the range and try out a few blades to see how they stack up
Didn't realise Mark Crossfield was a club builder/designer/fitter. He's a PGA pro who does videos, nothing else. That man grinds my gears. His back must hurt being bent over talking out of his Ars* all day long Edit - i'm not saying hes wrong on this subject, but since when was he an expert in the way golf clubs are built?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Didn't realise Mark Crossfield was a club builder/designer/fitter. He's a PGA pro who does videos, nothing else. That man grinds my gears. His back must hurt being bent over talking out of his Ars* all day long Edit - i'm not saying hes wrong on this subject, but since when was he an expert in the way golf clubs are built?

To be honest I had never come across him until I saw this video. I don't think you have to be an expert or a club builder in order to give a valuable insight. It's the main reason why I asked the question on this board to see if amateurs of differing abilities had experience of modern blades.

I never tried them before because from a very early age I was told they are almost impossible to hit. I am no wondering if this is still the case

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
I use Tm tour preffered blades.

Also like cb and mc irons aswell.

Prefer a blade for hitting knock down shots into greens etc feel alot more control with them.

I would change the 3&4 iron to mc though if i could find ones. Wouldnt mind a bit more help on those irons

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd love a set of blades but why make a tricky game even harder. The way I play it makes sense to get the most from off centre hits and that's where cavity backs wins hands down

How often do you hit off-centre, at the moment I've got 4 sets of irons, 3 of the sets I hit out of the centre 90% of the time with only the very odd off-centre strike, the other set I shank every other shot...

Based on that and as long as the shafts were correct for me I'd be more than comfortable to play a set of blades, I hit my 'T-zoids' real sweet, only issue I have with them is that I don't hit my irons long at the best of times so that married to 'old skool lofts' means I come up rather short...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How often do you hit off-centre, at the moment I've got 4 sets of irons, 3 of the sets I hit out of the centre 90% of the time with only the very odd off-centre strike, the other set I shank every other shot...

Based on that and as long as the shafts were correct for me I'd be more than comfortable to play a set of blades, I hit my 'T-zoids' real sweet, only issue I have with them is that I don't hit my irons long at the best of times so that married to 'old skool lofts' means I come up rather short...

Can get the odd toe and heel strike so the cavity back definitely help

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Yup totally agree. But I was commenting on flier "type" hits as opposed to fliers per se. You get the same low spin flying shot but from a fairway/nice lie. Don't know if that happens with blades too as never tried them, but if it cuts down on them, then I would be happy.

If you're getting that from fairways then it's more likely to be a technical fault or user error - sorry to tell you...
I've found with blades that you really need to be good with angle of attack, you have to have you low point beyond the ball.
You can be really steep on it or shallow, but contact is everything.
You can deliberately go for heel/toe strikes as well. If you are able to judge and use the ball flight dynamics to your advantage.
Some "game improver" and cavity irons can help if you are a little off (pre-ball) but do it with a blade and it'll come up way short.
Thin it and it will disappear into the horizon like an exocet missile. Like it would with any iron to be honest.

Have you heard of the DST trainer? That will help with angle of attack with irons.