Blades or Cavity backs

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
I have had my current irons, Ping i3+ for 15 years and will be looking to upgrade to a new set either this year or spring 2018. My old handicap was 14.6 though currently playing to about 10-12.

I have always wanted a set of Mizuno blades since my friend had a set a decade ago. But whenever I have enquired about blades I am always told I am not good enough and only very low handicappers should have them.

Well I have just seen the MP-18s and I am in love, is there a better looking set of clubs around, and I am considering getting a set once they are released.

I do strike my irons extremely well and my higher scores are generally down to errant driver or poor chipping than mis hit irons. I have Ping blade 2 iron which I hit very well.

Can anyone out there confirm that blades are genuinely a no go unless you are shooting +5 or under, or can I actually play with them.

As much as I love the feel of blades when you strike them (especially Mizunos) I would never consider them as you just lose too much forgiveness on off centre hits..

I use forged cavity backs and you can hit one off th toe or thin and still end up on the green.. with blades those shots usually end up 15-30 yards short of your target.

So yes I would subscribe to ththe view that if higher handicappers probably shouldn't use them, however with a big caveat, and that is that golf is a game we play for fun. I personally don't enjoy golf when I score badly, however some people just love that feeling of a well struck shot with a blade so much that it is worth the extra shots. So if you are one of those people then go for it and enjoy.