Blade or mallet putter?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I currently use a blade style putter.

Have picked up a few mallets recently in shop and they felt good. How do you know which is more suitable or is it a case of whatever feels more comfortable personally. I know it can depend on your stroke. I'm actually not even sure if I have a slight arc or not. That's why I'm thinking the ping app and cradle might be a good investment.

So basically what do you guys find to be the main benefits of using either style putter?

Also has anyone found significant improvements following a change?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have used both and was a strong believer i should use a mallet with a straight back and through stroke

However i found my stroke was a slight arc, now using the Ping Scottsdale Blade and find it better for pace but harder lining up

If i take time to line the putt up it is a better putter in my opinion

With good technique both styles will work well, maybe look at the 2 ball blade as a half way version ?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
putting is such a personal thing, whatever feels good and gives you confidence to get the job done is good.
I used to use a blade change to a 2 ball and wont go back,
try visiting your pro or local superstore gives some a go.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Recently changed from blade to 2ball and I've seen an immediate improvement.

Earlier in the season I was averaging just under 38 putts per round (worst performance was 42 putts). First time out with the mallet I had 30 putts (a PB) and was rolling them in from all over the place. Since then, my worst has been 36. Some of it may be mental but even if that's the case, it's worth a change.

I got fitted for mine, so I'd recommend doing the same. Either your local pro or somewhere like AG should be able to do it.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I like the look of the new taylormade spider S. Must try have a few putts with that whenever it comes into the shops

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I love blade putters especially the anser style...................

however, tried a mallet and its a lot easier to align plus feels more solid on strikes especially the lag putts.

There is something to be said for SBST, small arc or strong arc putters so the forward thinking chaps at Ping have just released the PING NOME which has one to fit each stroke. I've just bought the small arc one so will do a review once it arrives.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have used both and was a strong believer i should use a mallet with a straight back and through stroke

However i found my stroke was a slight arc, now using the Ping Scottsdale Blade and find it better for pace but harder lining up

If i take time to line the putt up it is a better putter in my opinion

With good technique both styles will work well, maybe look at the 2 ball blade as a half way version ?

I agree with this (other than the 2-ball but but I just don't like the way they look!)

Been using a blade putter recently but likely to go back to a mallet I think.

Yes Donna is another pretty good halfway house.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I went from an Anser blade to an odyssey #9 and never looked back. I try to go back and through but to be honest putting is so personal. I would try a few pro shops locally and see if you can take them on the practice green

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Get yourself a Taylormade Ghost Spider, let everyone call it a toasting iron/satellite dish etc then just smile while you drain every mid range putt. Thats my dream anyway but everyone always wants a go with it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My advice for this is the same for other threads of the same ilk.

Go and get a proper fitting and remove al doubt.

Custom fit a putter? - you are talking tosh. Sorry mate - you've bought into the 'custom fit is the way to success' - imo custom fitting for the bog standard h'cap golfer as we mostly all are is emperor's new clothes stuff and, imo, total waste of money. Get a putter that you like the look and feel of and learn to use it. But I am sure most will disagree.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Custom fit a putter? - you are talking tosh. Sorry mate - you've bought into the 'custom fit is the way to success' - imo custom fitting for the bog standard h'cap golfer as we mostly all are is emperor's new clothes stuff and, imo, total waste of money. Get a putter that you like the look and feel of and learn to use it. But I am sure most will disagree.

Tosh?

I was fitted for a putter last year and I hated the look of it. I was playing off 11 at the time and I don't play any better tee to green now.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The whole idea of custom fit is to find a club to suit your swing. Not trying to change your swing to suit a club. So custom fitting must work. I got custom fit for woods & irons and went from 13 to 5 in 16 months. So I'm a believer! So that's why I'd be interested to find someone to do putter fitting.

walshawwhippet

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The whole idea of custom fit is to find a club to suit your swing. Not trying to change your swing to suit a club. So custom fitting must work. I got custom fit for woods & irons and went from 13 to 5 in 16 months. So I'm a believer! So that's why I'd be interested to find someone to do putter fitting.

Its a quiet night so had a quick look on line. Apparently they do custom putter fitting at Charleville Golf Club. Dont know if thats anywhere close but its a possibility :thup:

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
I had a 2 ball lined odyssey that i loved, sadly nicked, leaving me with a tm rossa blade that i bought off here out of curiosity.
I have my good days with it but i domiss the weight and confidence i used to feel with the 2 ball.

Been tempted to try out odysseys two ball blade putter, pretty cheap on the bay.