Blade Irons VS Cavity Irons

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hello soon ill have £450 to spend on new irons which i desperately need

My handicap is 10

Ive always used cavity back irons

My question is would blades help me in anway?

What advtanges do blades have over cavity backs?

And finally can anyone suggest good irons for either blades or cavitys for less then 450?

thanks

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Blades should have better feel and allow a better player to shape their shots, disadvantage obviously is that they will be less forgiving. Off 10 Id be looking for a forged cavity back, which is sort of halfway between the two, get a bit more feel, smaller top line but still get some of the extra forgiveness

D

Deleted Member 1156

Unless your ball striking is very good I would stay away from blades. They are lovely to hit but get it wrong and the results can be pretty poor. Off your handicap, have a look at some of the semi cavity clubs, smaller heads and thinner toplines but with a bit of cavity to help you out. Things like Mizuno JPX800 Pro, MP60's or MX25's, some good Wilson clubs out there or maybe something like Titleist AP's or Ping i15/20's.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always say the same when these threads pop up so here goes.

If you can afford to lose money on them then get them BUT if you can't then don't. If you don't get on with them you will have to move them on losing a bit of wedge on them. Although you may get on with them and love them (I know I love mine).

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
worth looking at the callaway xforgeds, the new razrs will be about your budget but can still pick up new sets of the prevbious model for 250ish

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
worth looking at the callaway xforgeds, the new razrs will be about your budget but can still pick up new sets of the prevbious model for 250ish

I have always liked the look of them and have coveted a set for a while. The biggest thing for me is to be happy and comfortable looking down at a club as, for me, it makes a huge difference.

Minhoca

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Get blades.. A bad shot is a bad shot whatever the club is in your hand. If you strike the ball well you'll fall in love with them. Buy a 7 iron off ebay for £25 and play around with it. Make sure its mizuno and ill bet in know time you will join the MP brotherhood.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The Nike pro combos are a very nice set of irons. Bladed pw to 8i, and then small cavity backs for the rest. A bit more than your budget (£500), but nice clubs. Best of both worlds. Good looking too.

Don't know if they would help your game though. Not sure any clubs do that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd be looking at something with a small cavity but forged if you want that extra feel. I wouldn't use blade but that's my personal choice. I love my TM TP's which have a smallish cavity to give me help and I love the feel I get off them

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I got a used set of AP2s for £450, in practically mint condition too. There were slightly less perfect ones on offer for £400.

I'd recommend them to anyone.
There is a brand new set of 4-pw AP2s in our proshop for 450 at the moment. Second hand AP2s are the way forward though. Lovely clubs.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont think its a simple as saying get X Y or Z . i think you need to try a few out & see what is best for you , they might not even be the ones you think you like best but they could be the best for your game .. & if you can play with them & get better, its irrelevent as to whether they are blades or cavitys ..
.Sorry not realy an answer to what you specificaly asked but i think the answer to your question can only be made by trial ..

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I dont think its a simple as saying get X Y or Z . i think you need to try a few out & see what is best for you , they might not even be the ones you think you like best but they could be the best for your game .. & if you can play with them & get better, its irrelevent as to whether they are blades or cavitys ..

..these are wise words and I would heed them so you don't buy in haste and repent at leisure:smirk:

Blocker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Unless you hit the ball really consistantly off the middle of the bat i probably would avoid blades.They are just so unforgiving unless you pure the hit. Have a look at the wilson Ci 11 cavity irons.You can get them custom fitted for @ £400. I'm probably biased though as I've just bought a set and hitting them great:)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Be very cautious about buying blades. Look at the tour players and see what they have in the bag. They do not all have classic blades. In these days companies are offering what is called a Muscle Cavity that sits between the traditional cavity back and blade.

Just having a quick look at the manufacturers sites and seeing what their players have in the bag. It looks like there is a roughly 50/50 split between Blades and the tour style cavity backed clubs.