Type of clubs do you use?

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
def not a Blade

Cheers...i got that bit...just wondered what category they did fall in.

I play G's at the moment but im liking the thinner top line of the i200's....however, old thing/saying, im not good enough enough for them with my H'cap of 20! However, I just want to enjoy the game like others have said.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not as clean lined and down right sexy as Murph's TourStages but below are some of mine from through the ages.
All 6 irons: Mizuno (cavity back or GI?), HB&S, John Letters, Gradidge, Cann & Taylor

It's funny but the way that the light has caught them you'd think I never bothered with cleaning my clubs :eek:)

6 irons.jpg6 iron facess.jpg6 iron soles.jpg

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There is a brand new set of 80s top flight blades, with matching new woods on ebay for 400. Tempted, but no idea why. Never been hit.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My opinion is that you could benefit from a more forgiving club, that looks virtually the same .

I have to disagree

most modern cavity back clubs simply do not look like or have the same sort of head size as a blade. Thin top lines are a rarity in CB clubs.

kevingopher

Medal Winner
Visit site
Call it a hotspot if you like. It's identical to a flier tho, catch the ball a groove or two high on the face with an iron that has a low and back cg and the spin is dragged off the ball. I don't mind knowing a bad shot might be short but, having to worry about good shots going long is not for me

Chokeahontas

Medal Winner
Visit site
Cheers...i got that bit...just wondered what category they did fall in.

I play G's at the moment but im liking the thinner top line of the i200's....however, old thing/saying, im not good enough enough for them with my H'cap of 20! However, I just want to enjoy the game like others have said.

Handicap doesn't really dictate what type of irons you should use, though. It's just a guide in lieu of anything else, some of the best ball strikers I've played with are bad putters and have similar handicap as you.

I do not strike the ball brilliantly, and I get on great with them, I went to the fitting thinking I wanted some GI Mizunos, and the fitter took the i200 with him after watching me hit the ball, and essentially said "don't be scared of these" :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Play with what makes you happy surely? It may be that blades won't lead to lower scores and for me it would make a hard game even harder, but if you want to try and use them crack on whether you're single figure or in the 20's. I did actually but a set of Ping S56's which were as close to a blade as they went to try and improve my ball striking, going back to the I25's for games. Did it work? Not really but there is definitely nothing like having a tiny head behind the ball and then puring one out of the middle. Doing regularly was the issue

Chokeahontas

Medal Winner
Visit site
Play with what makes you happy surely? It may be that blades won't lead to lower scores and for me it would make a hard game even harder, but if you want to try and use them crack on whether you're single figure or in the 20's. I did actually but a set of Ping S56's which were as close to a blade as they went to try and improve my ball striking, going back to the I25's for games. Did it work? Not really but there is definitely nothing like having a tiny head behind the ball and then puring one out of the middle. Doing regularly was the issue

This.

And things like "I like the thin top line" are really worth listening to your thoughts, because a club needs to look good to your eye. Personally, the large offset that some GI irons have was the thing I hated, looked really off-putting and I subconsciously (and then consciously) let it bother me.

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
This.

And things like "I like the thin top line" are really worth listening to your thoughts, because a club needs to look good to your eye. Personally, the large offset that some GI irons have was the thing I hated, looked really off-putting and I subconsciously (and then consciously) let it bother me.

This is similar to what I'm feeling... I may just have to try a fitting. I'm yellow dot so will be interested what dot colour I'll now be.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Currently play Ping G10's and defo looking to change. They have been good clubs but now need a bit more control, and spin. The 1st cut fliers are a nightmare and the offset head design just says "going left". They worked great to get me where I am, but AP2's i200's or Mizzy's are on the shopping list.