Type of clubs do you use?

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Which is fine, but they arent blades. I like blades, always have done. Its not how good the clubs are, or how forgiving, as i am not fussed, its what they look like.

Totally agree, wouldn't play with ugly clubs, no matter what forgiveness they promise

That why I will only use a traditional shaped putter, I think these huge monstrosities of things are horrendous, I'd ban them on aesthetic grounds if I could.

I know it's completely irrational, but yeah, that's the way I am

Im not saying i dont agree! I picked the Ap2s on that basis, The moment i picked them up i loved the look. But what im saying is that some points are moot because you can get the "players" look with forgiveness now which you previously couldnt

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've looked though this tread and pretty much everyone that has relied is not using blades, but cavity backs or a couple with a muscle back. not the same thing as a blade.

This. The selection of blades is so minimal now. Youre looking at the Titleist MBs, Cobra King Pro MBs, Mizuno MP4s, Srixon 965s and Wilson FG tour 100 from the mainstream guys on the market at the moment. Then obviously you can get your Miuras and custom built butter knives.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally agree, wouldn't play with ugly clubs, no matter what forgiveness they promise

That why I will only use a traditional shaped putter, I think these huge monstrosities of things are horrendous, I'd ban them on aesthetic grounds if I could.

I know it's completely irrational, but yeah, that's the way I am
Actually when I did my putter fitting 6 months ago, I was told that the look of the putter is a huge factor in how well you putt with it. i.e. if you look down and see an ugly lump of metal, you'll have no confidence in it and putt badly. So not irrational at all in that sense! I'm the same as you, I don't like those giant mallet putters, I think they look silly. I just use a wide blade model.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree on the putting side, the look is a huge factor. You've got to love how it looks in order to feel good about holing your putt.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've looked though this tread and pretty much everyone that has relied is not using blades, but cavity backs or a couple with a muscle back. not the same thing as a blade.

May be, but the definition is pretty blurred when it comes to what is a blade, and what is a muscle back. My Macgregor 1025 VIP are more bladey, and my Tourstage are more towards MB. They are still far from forgiving, but have all the attributes I look for. Very thin top line, no cavity, very limited off set, and not too many messy details.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I personally find that GI clubs are prone to fliers. MB's and CB's don't, you get out exactly what you put in.

I found when i had a set of GI irons (jpx825 Pro) that if i absolutely flushed one it went 20 yards further. you just don't get that with a blade.

had this a couple of when playing a comp. Had 155 to the flag on the 3rd hole hit 7 iron from the middle of the fairway, PP commented great shot, straight at the flag, only for it to fly in the gorse over the back and lost the ball.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
My irons aren't super GI but get some stupid distances out of them sometimes. In a comp the other week had what looked like a bit of a flyer lie from 165. Took a 9 and flew the green, ridiculous. Knocked it off the back from 185 with a 7 as well last time out. Don't think I'd get that with a blade.

Chokeahontas

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm not at all convinced that modern 'GI' irons should be the go-to, no questions asked option for a beginner anyway.

I don't feel as though there was ANY drop-off in forgiveness between my GI Mizunos and new Ping i200s, and that's not because I don't hit poor shots anymore ;)

Couple that to modern GI irons being crazy strong lofted, with the resulting lack of green holding that results in, I doubt there's really much of a distinct market anymore other than those aforementioned scarce 'true' blades and everything else, the gaps in forgiveness are so small.

Chokeahontas

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don't think they fit into a category, other than 'not blades'. They've got a small cavity back, and as I say I think they give me as much forgiveness as the more traditionally 'beginner' irons.

D

Deleted Member 1156

How do you get flyers (or not) with different types of club? A flyer is caused by something getting between clubface and ball, usually grass or water which takes spin off the shot.