Blade Irons VS Cavity Irons

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Be very cautious about buying blades.

Indeed there is a distinct argument along the lines of 'why make the game harder than it already is!'

Though combo sets are a good balance.

Blades certainly give you 'feedback' if you don't get a good connection, but that seems something better suited to practice as opposed to on-the-course. At one stage, I had a set of blades and a set of cavity backs (well more than 1 of each actually!). While the blades were more of a pleasure to use, they were actually costing me a shot or 2 a round as straying into the second cut meant an 8-iron out at max compared to the required 5/6 iron that was possible with the CBs. And this year, there's plenty of tough, juicy rough about!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'ts all a question of personal taste. I like a blade type, i'm not the best player in the world but much prefer something that is pleasing to the eye.

Why not try some Mizuno MP 32 's n older set that you could pick up cheaply. I use my set over the winter as they are more forgiving that the mp62 i use in the summer.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have tried blades before and been very tempted. But when you can get irons that look like blades but give you a little bit of forgiveness then that will do for me. My clubs look look like the TM TP MB when looked on from above, so very pleasing on the eye.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get blades.. A bad shot is a bad shot whatever the club is in your hand.

Gotta disagree with this.
i own a set of Mizuno forged blades, a set of Hogan forged cavities, and a set of Ping cast Super GI irons.

The difference between the 3 sets are the mi*****. The PIng mi***** reach the green, the Hogans go 2/3 of the way, and the Mizuno mi***** go half the distance.
Flushed they make no significant distance difference.
As a 9/10 handicap, i make more mi***** than i would like and the Pings give me miles more consistency.

Having said that, and even though the Pings are not leaving my bag for a very long time, i still love bothe the Mizzys and the Hogans - they are both beautiful sets of clubs to play with

Good luck with what you get

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blades look amazing but I agree with the principal of why make a difficult game harde than it should be. A set of forged cavities with a thin sole is my weapon of choice and I'd recommend a similar style to anyone.