Binoculars for watching golf

JonW

Visit site
I’m going to The Open in July and one of the other threads suggested taking binoculars to take advantage of the grandstands and other viewing places on the course.

I have a very old pair of basic Miranda 8x40 binoculars and a very heavy pair of astronomy binoculars - neither of these seem very suitable.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a pair for watching golf with? I’m planning on doing quite a lot of walking over the couple of days and have to get the train up, so don’t want anything too heavy.

My budget is ideally under £100 but could go to £200 for something really good.

Thanks!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Never used binoculars at golf, have always been happy to watch whats directly in front of me and follow ball flight as i would when playing. Feels difficult as the range of field is changing if youre trying to follow a ball in the air which feels all but impossible with binoculars

Have used them when going to the races and found that field of view and stability more important than magnification and dont see any reason why using them at golf would be any different. I guess if you wanted to watch players putting from 150 yards away or similar then zoom would be a decent option

As for specific ones i think its a case of trying them and seeing which work for you, I bought a pair of Leicas which have been excellent but prob a touch over your budget

Decent neck strap a must

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've taken a cheap pair of compact binoculars to the open and found them useful.
Bigger ones may be better for watching but probably not as handy.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought 8x42 Puffin bins from a RSPB centre when I attended the Open at Troon some years ago. They were spot on & just the thing for future use in other areas. Cost was some £70 to £80

evemccc

Visit site

I have these - seconded on their quality and lightweight/portability usage

I bought them (and use them solely) for watching cricket at Lord’s.
If headed to St Andrews’s then I would certainly take them for golf

They are the only pair of binoculars I’ve bought and am happy with them…my limited knowledge is that there’s always a trade-off, and stability is very important esp if you’re walking about

If you’re sitting in a grandstand solely then you might like to spend a little more and get a slightly heavier pair with better zoom and field of vision….if I had more time in my life to devote to watching cricket then I would get a more expensive one I think

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have a lovely pair of Nikon ones too, but for golf I'd be inclined to take a monocular. Much easier to carry around, a lot lighter than a pair of binoculars and could even slip it in your pocket....

plus 1 for a monocular
I got mine 35 years ago and its tiny, fits in the palm of my hand and can carry in a shirt pocket (Carl Zeiss, made in DDR) about half the size of a packet of cigs but still reasonably powerful, 8x21

D

Deleted member 1147

Do you play golf, and if so, do you have a range finder?
If yes, just take that

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you play golf, and if so, do you have a range finder?
If yes, just take that

Range finders are lasers and you would have to be careful to make sure you do not laser out of habit. Imagine a player just about to take a shot when he gets a red dot in the eye.

D

Deleted member 1147

Range finders are lasers and you would have to be careful to make sure you do not laser out of habit. Imagine a player just about to take a shot when he gets a red dot in the eye.
I don’t think you’ll find it’s an issue