billyg in the city

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Only got round to picking up the 'new' GM today. Great article Billy and a real eye-opener for we provincial types. Golf by bus - you cannot be serious? On the other hand ...
(don't think I'll be moving to London, though!)

AliB

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks AliB,

I really enjoyed doing it. It's not everyday...or come to think of it ANYday you get a chance to write for a national periodical. I'm really chuffed to see something I did sitting cheek by jowl with the great and the good of golf.

Thanks to Mike and the GM team for the chance and to a fellow GMer (who shall remain nameless) for giving me the final push of confidence I needed to approach Mike with the idea.

I hope at least a few find it entertaining.

Jump in and have a go yourselves GMer's.

cheers BillyG

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
BillyG

I'm in the same position as you. I have submitted a piece that I have had on the go for a number of years now and MikeH at GM loved it and it will be in the September issue (out in August). I've seen the final proof copy already and it looks great!

Can't say too much about it except it is a subject very close to my heart and was an emotional experience getting onto paper. I hope you all enjoy it when it comes out

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great article. Reminded me of being a junior and getting the 93 bus from Morden to Wimbledon Common - trying to get on in the rush hour carrying my shoe bag and my clubs - ahhh fond memories

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Shanker
Just look at the bottom of the article for Mike Hs contact details.
don't forget there's also the Forum blog for us to contribute to. some good stuff on there including one by Homer, I seem to recall.

AliB

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Congratulations to Bill.
I've got one or two ideas for a piece in the magazine. How does one go about it?

Thanks once again for your positive comments folks.

Shanker, my path was a little different from HJS in that I sent an e-mail to MikeH and sort of 'pitched' an idea to him along with an opening sentence that might summarise the idea - in this case it was the ,'Golf and cities do not sit comfortably etc' one. Mike was very supportive and things developed from there.

Don't think there's many rules about how it all shapes up but whatever way you want to go with it, the one thing that we all have in common i.e AliB, HJS,myself and I daresay the other reader-contributors) is that it starts with an e-mail to MikeH at IPC towers IMHO.

I hope you (and any of the other GMers out there so inclined) will have a go as it was a creative, interesting and fascinating process to be involved in for me. Refreshingly different from the day job.

Good luck and I'll look forward to next months' piece by HJS, yourself possibly and the work of other readers of GM and GM forum as they pop up.