Big Problem with Sun Mountain H2NO bag

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On my bag there's two - one for umbrella further back and that one - think it's for a towel or bag tag - I've never thought of using anything but the real handles which are pretty solid
There are two grab handles at the very top of the bag. Unfortunately these are covered by the rain cover top if you put it on to stop your clubs banging about in the back of your car as I do.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you mean the flat bit on the front that the bag strap passes through this should be fine for lifting imho.

My old Ping bag had one of these and I always used it for lifting / dragging in and out of my car with no issues.

Have to admit was thinking of the staff cart bag as a special treat for my 40th early next year but may think again now this sounds pretty awful service to me.
That is exactly the part in question. The bag strap passes underneath it for some reason.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you considered talking to Sun Mountain directly and seeing what they say. Ultimately though your beef should be with AG as that is who your "contract" is with as they sold the bag
On the phone Clubhouse offered to provide their Head Office email address for me to ask them to take it further. I asked if they would give me Sun Mountain's contact details and they said they would, so I guess I will get all the info tomorrow when I collect my bag. I will send emails and see what happens, but I don't think the customer should have to go through all this. All I did was buy a premium bag. If this was one of my products I would have it sorted immediately. I wouldn't want anyone dissatisfied with anything they bought from me or indeed anything with my company name on it. As I say, I thought Sun Mountain were a quality company with good products and a fine reputation. I was wrong.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
All I did was buy a premium bag. If this was one of my products I would have it sorted immediately. I wouldn't want anyone dissatisfied with anything they bought from me or indeed anything with my company name on it. As I say, I thought Sun Mountain were a quality company with good products and a fine reputation. I was wrong.
Well to be honest, you bought a premium bag and then decided to lug it around using something that isn't a handle.

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm sorry but, yes it's NOT a handle, but I wouldn't expect the cart strap cover to break off in my hand if all I did was wiggle it about in my car, especially on a bag that's over £200 in value

What if it broke when/if your cart happened to fall over, if it can take a jiggle in a car it's not gonna take a topple on a cart either and that's not good

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well to be honest, you bought a premium bag and then decided to lug it around using something that isn't a handle.
Slightly unfair I think. Nowhere does it say it isn't a handle and it certainly looks like one. The fact that it is the perfect size to fit your hand through compounds the problem and makes nonsense of their claim that it is a cart strap pass through panel. I have never seen a cart strap anything like that wide. And I didn't "lug it around". The bag was in the boot of my 4x4, lying on the floor, unfortunately with the panel side facing me. I pulled the bag towards me by holding the panel.
No worries though. You are entitled to your opinion and I didn't expect everyone to agree with me.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly unfair I think. Nowhere does it say it isn't a handle and it certainly looks like one. The fact that it is the perfect size to fit your hand through compounds the problem and makes nonsense of their claim that it is a cart strap pass through panel. I have never seen a cart strap anything like that wide. And I didn't "lug it around". The bag was in the boot of my 4x4, lying on the floor, unfortunately with the panel side facing me. I pulled the bag towards me by holding the panel.
No worries though. You are entitled to your opinion and I didn't expect everyone to agree with me.

couple of small points -

1. your comment re it being nonsense that it's what they claim it to be is actually the nonsense - not all cart straps are positioned at the same height; by having it slightly wider than the strap they provide an appropriate degree of latitude to cover this and keep the strap flat on the bag minimising potential wear.
2. you can bring significantly more force to bear on something like this in the circumstances you describe than in just lifting the bag.

However, the only issue is that you (not me) aren't happy with what happened, and the companies subsequent responses. I hope you get satisfaction in the end.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here you go. This is the "panel" in question. I would guess it is 11cm (just over 4") top to bottom.
Maybe is just me, but it looks like a handle and it is where you would expect a handle to be.

Attachments

• 1n2no_cart_black.jpg
    1n2no_cart_black.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 161

Keyser Soze

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is this the bit your talking about (I'm confused) I always thought it was for tucking the "other end" of the golf towel away ?!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 59

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be fair to Sun Mountain, their web page for this item describes it as a cart strap thingy, and the video actually shows it and refers to it as the cart strap thingy.

Short of giving you a Users' Manual with health and safety advice such as "don't pick up a full golf bag with the cart strap thingy" , then I'm not sure whatbtheybare supposed to do.

But then I've found Sun Mountain to be fabulous in customer care to date, so maybe I'm biased.

However I'm not sue your example is a fair basis for deriding either their products or their reputation - they have good products and a good reputation.

LinksTurf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interestingly I have a very similar flap on my Bennington QO-07 bag. I bought it instore in 2007 and asked the retailer what the flap was for at the time. He had no idea and there was nothing on their website or the bag itself to enlighten me. Anyway, I've used it as a handle (assuming it was one) to get the bag in and out of my boot for 7 years with no problem. It looks now from this discussion as if it is a pass through for the cart strap! You live and learn!

big_eck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My Taylor made juggernaut bag has the same kinda bit and I lift it by that all the time, well I did until I had a mosey through this

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair to Sun Mountain, their web page for this item describes it as a cart strap thingy, and the video actually shows it and refers to it as the cart strap thingy.

Short of giving you a Users' Manual with health and safety advice such as "don't pick up a full golf bag with the cart strap thingy" , then I'm not sure whatbtheybare supposed to do.

But then I've found Sun Mountain to be fabulous in customer care to date, so maybe I'm biased.

However I'm not sue your example is a fair basis for deriding either their products or their reputation - they have good products and a good reputation.
I absolutely agree with your point about a users manual. By the same token, do we all have to watch a video online now to learn how to use a cart bag? My feeling is, if it isn't a handle, don't make it look like a handle and don't place it where a handle usually goes. If you are going to do that, then you have to make it clear it's not a handle or expect complaints.
To be honest, I am not really sure about the usefulness of a cart strap pass through panel. A cart strap is tight by nature of it keeping the bag on the cart, so I am not sure what purpose it serves other than decorative.
As for me deriding their products, I guess you take as you find. I always thought they had a good reputation and made good products. Sadly my one encounter with their products and customer service has proved otherwise. On that basis I think I am being entirely fair. I am glad that you have experienced better service though.

Last edited:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I absolutely agree with your point about a users manual. By the same token, do we all have to watch a video online now to learn how to use a cart bag? My feeling is, if it isn't a handle, don't make it look like a handle and don't place it where a handle usually goes. If you are going to do that, then you have to make it clear it's not a handle or expect complaints.
To be honest, I am not really sure about the usefulness of a cart strap pass through panel. A cart strap is tight by nature of it keeping the bag on the cart, so I am not sure what purpose it serves other than decorative.
As for me deriding their products, I guess you take as you find. I always thought they had a good reputation and made good products. Sadly my one encounter with their products and customer service has proved otherwise. On that basis I think I am being entirely fair. I am glad that you have experienced better service though.

Looks like a duck.
Sounds like a duck.

But it's a aardvark

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've checked HID's Ping cart bag following this thread and that also has the "cart strap". Information found online. Looks like an additional grab handle to me in real life.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The strap is common on several makes of bags, and is there to support the bag when its on a trolley or buggy. In other words it should take the weight of the bag on occasion. In this instance it didn't take the weight of the bag... may be splitting hairs but I'd say its a product failure.

Have a similar strap on my Cobra bag, and is often used when picking the bag up - no problems.

Maybe include a link to this thread in your email to Sun Mountain and ask them if they'd like the negative perception to change?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It gets worse.
I went back to Clubhouse today to collect my bag. As promised they gave the the email address for their returns dept and they gave me a phone number for Sun Mountain in the UK. I called the number to ask for an email address. The phone was answered "Hello." No Sun Mountain or any company name. I asked for an email address so I could register a complaint and was asked what I was complaining about. I explained as best I could and the chap at the other end disagreed with my interpretation that this could be mistaken for a handle. He also explained that they were just a UK customer interface and that any decision on a complaint could only be handled by the main distributor in Europe. When I asked for the Europe email address he said they didn't have a "customer facing email address". He said I had two choices. I could either email them in the UK or Sun Mountain in the US. Either way my email would be passed to the European distributors.
I have emailed both the UK and the US and asked them to reconsider my complaint. I have also emailed Clubhouse returns dept and asked them to take this up on my behalf. I have also asked them who exactly rejected my complaint. As Clubhouse dealt with everything within 3 working days, I can't really think that my bag has gone back to Europe, inspected and returned. I may be wrong. If it's gone back to Sun Mountain in the UK, they have already said they can't consider complaints.
In the meantime, here is a pic of the offending article. Still looks like a handle to me...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 104