Big Problem with Sun Mountain H2NO bag

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I spent £220 - yes you read that right - on a 2014 Sun Mountain H2NO waterproof golf bag in February from Clubhouse Golf. I didn't use it until mid April. For those who know this bag, there is a "loop" at the top of the bag on the opposite side to the main handle. On one of the first few times I used it, I took hold of the bag by this "loop" to manoeuvre the bag in the boot of my 4x4 and it came away at one end from the bag. Thinking that this shouldn't happen with a £220 bag, I took it back to Clubhouse who sent it to Sun Mountain. I have received a call from Clubhouse this morning to say that Sun Mountain won't entertain my complaint because the loop isn't a handle!
To be clear, I have no issue with Clubhouse who have provided good service here. I do though have a serious problem with Sun Mountain and the quality of their product and customer service.
I have to go back to Clubhouse tomorrow to collect my bag and I will post pictures then to better illustrate the situation. in the meantime my advice to everyone is DON'T BUY A SUN MOUNTAIN BAG. Seemingly, when they fall to bits in the first couple of months, it's your problem.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is the loop for then? Not that it really matters, you should be able to pick the thing up by the umbrella hoop and it not break in my opinion.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not quite sure which bit of the bag you mean, am waiting to see pics, but if you mean one of the 2 black rubber "handles" either side of the rim of the bag then I wouldnt be accepting their answer as they are clearly handles, no point for them being "open" if they are not

Last edited:

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
daft question and sorry to ask but why did the shop not just exchange it for you? had a problem not much diff' that your issue with a Callaway bag bought from AG. They just exchanged it there and then. Good luck with sorting it out and remember that the bag has to be fit for purpose and there is the sale of good act stuff you could look into too.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is the loop for then? Not that it really matters, you should be able to pick the thing up by the umbrella hoop and it not break in my opinion.
Having looked on their website which only has the 2013 models on it, it has a "cart-strap-pass-through-panel". I suppose this is what the loop is. I am not sure of the benefit of one of these is. It's not like the cart strap is going to come off without the panel being there. I would also question the wisdom of placing such a "panel" on the opposite side of the bag to where the main handle is -exactly where most cart bags have another handle.
Whilst I didn't actually use it as a handle to lift the bag, there was nothing to my recollection saying that it should not be used as a handle. Even then, I don't think most people, in everyday use, would think "the manufacturers said this isn't handle, so I mustn't use it as such". You would just grab the bag and go.
In my experience in business, these kind of issues are not worth the trouble. Fix the problem and keep the customer. In my humble opinion this is really shoddy from a company I always thought made good quality products. I thought they were better than this.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It really only matters whether Clubhouse golf believe the loop/handle should have broken, its them you have a contract with. At the moment they are taking Sun Mountains view but they could just as easy disregard Sun Mountain assessment and replace it for you

(they can then take the fight up with Sun Mountain as they see fit)

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
daft question and sorry to ask but why did the shop not just exchange it for you? had a problem not much diff' that your issue with a Callaway bag bought from AG. They just exchanged it there and then. Good luck with sorting it out and remember that the bag has to be fit for purpose and there is the sale of good act stuff you could look into too.
Not sure to be honest. They said they had to send it back and I was OK with it. I still have my previous Powakaddy bag I can use, so it wasn't an issue. Maybe they thought Sun Mountain would want to repair it, which would mean they couldn't sell it as new. A repair would have been OK with me. Or, maybe previous experience with Sun Mountain told them it was unlikely they would accept the complaint. Who knows?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
your contract is with the shop not Sun Mountain. The retailer holds the warranty and contract with you, whatever the retailer does with his supplier afterwards is their concern and they have a duty and legal responsibility to repair or replace within the warranty.

Right, thats the legal bit, now if its just a small loop and not really worth anyones hassle is it worth all the aggro for you both, a quick McGuyver job and a sleeve of balls or 10% off next purchase as a goodwill gesture would probably suit everyone all round.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have always thought they were the ugliest bags ever made but was well aware they are highly regarded and usually good customer service comes with quality. They could have at least fixed it for you?!!!

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be honest in can't visualise what this loop is .... unless you mean the hard plastic hoops as I thought they were towel holder etc. can't imagine what would be on the opposite side of the handle, as surely that's the stand/leg side and putting a handle on there is a little weird.

Anyway, as stated I would be speaking to supplier and ignoring what sun mountain say. Obviously they have taken action with sun mountain already so it might be hard to get them to budge.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
To my mind there is absolutely no millage in trying to park this at the retailers door when the maunufacture has already positioned this as miss-use. All the shop have to say is "you have abused this" and its game over. I do however think the manufacture should have just fixed it.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Presume you mean you picked up a full bag by the umbrella holder loop - not sure why you'd do that when there are a very solid handle on the other side, two handles on the top and it comes with a strap too - I've never ever thought of picking up my H2NO by anything other the areas intended for me to do so.

Bought mine in April for £149 and not had any problems with it at all - only got it because I play in all weathers and it's been 100% waterproof so far

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Presume you mean you picked up a full bag by the umbrella holder loop - not sure why you'd do that when there are a very solid handle on the other side, two handles on the top and it comes with a strap too - I've never ever thought of picking up my H2NO by anything other the areas intended for me to do so.

Bought mine in April for £149 and not had any problems with it at all - only got it because I play in all weathers and it's been 100% waterproof so far

You may wish to read the whole thread.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I spent £220 - yes you read that right - on a 2014 Sun Mountain H2NO waterproof golf bag in February from Clubhouse Golf. I didn't use it until mid April. For those who know this bag, there is a "loop" at the top of the bag on the opposite side to the main handle. On one of the first few times I used it, I took hold of the bag by this "loop" to manoeuvre the bag in the boot of my 4x4 and it came away at one end from the bag. Thinking that this shouldn't happen with a £220 bag, I took it back to Clubhouse who sent it to Sun Mountain. I have received a call from Clubhouse this morning to say that Sun Mountain won't entertain my complaint because the loop isn't a handle!
To be clear, I have no issue with Clubhouse who have provided good service here. I do though have a serious problem with Sun Mountain and the quality of their product and customer service.
I have to go back to Clubhouse tomorrow to collect my bag and I will post pictures then to better illustrate the situation. in the meantime my advice to everyone is DON'T BUY A SUN MOUNTAIN BAG. Seemingly, when they fall to bits in the first couple of months, it's your problem.

That's utterly shocking!

£220 for a golf bag! ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
have the 2013 version, and have broken this too. Direct golf just replaced it, no quibbles. I still use it as a handle though, it's convenient.can't really see what else it's for.