Big change from a lesson

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson last week, and today I took it out on the course and gave the swing changes a real try. Really noticed a big change, a little inconsistent but no more so than my normal swing, added at least an extra 20 yards to the irons. Hopefully it stays!

Whats the biggest change you've seen in your game after a lesson?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Biggest change I've worked on (and it's hard to break 35+ years of mistakes) is to get the club coming down flatter and not standing the shaft up. Is making a real difference to strike and consistency but it still keeps creeping back in. As I said, hard to break!!! Also, hard to trust on the course so I've lowered expectations for a while (didn't stop me winning and 3 shot cut) but feel I'm heading forward.

You will notice it being inconsistent on the course for a bit. That's natural and you're have to live with it for a while. Keep doing what you've been shown and even if you have a horror round, DON'T resort to going back to the old methods

D

Deleted member 3432

Biggest change I've worked on (and it's hard to break 35+ years of mistakes) is to get the club coming down flatter and not standing the shaft up. Is making a real difference to strike and consistency but it still keeps creeping back in. As I said, hard to break!!! Also, hard to trust on the course so I've lowered expectations for a while (didn't stop me winning and 3 shot cut) but feel I'm heading forward.

You will notice it being inconsistent on the course for a bit. That's natural and you're have to live with it for a while. Keep doing what you've been shown and even if you have a horror round, DON'T resort to going back to the old methods
Like overswinging it?
Sorry couldn't resist ;)

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
... even if you have a horror round, DON'T resort to going back to the old methods
I played a round with someone who had a really repeatable pretty quick swing, but it was very flicky, he had one lesson, swing looked loads better but awful results and he went straight back to his old swing intentially.

I just hope i can spot myself taking old habits back onboard. We will see!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had a lesson last week, and today I took it out on the course and gave the swing changes a real try. Really noticed a big change, a little inconsistent but no more so than my normal swing, added at least an extra 20 yards to the irons. Hopefully it stays!

What was the change in the lesson?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been doing a few lessons this winter and now swinging much flatter but the thing that made the most difference, just in the last week, is a bowing of the left wrist through the downswing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Like overswinging it?
Sorry couldn't resist ;)
It it getting better in places but trust me it's like anything you've done for 35+ years it's so natural you aren't even aware of it most of the time. The swing change is bringing the club down better (when it works) and the tempo is improved so a knock on is the reduced length (except the driver where I am John Daly!!). Managing to get it round better on the really bad days than I use to, average days are mid 30's and getting close to handicap on more regular basis. Plenty of work on short game and especially putting due, but all in all it could be in a worse place with the season on the horizon

D

Deleted member 1147

I used to have a very flat swing, which basically led to a push-hook as my standard shot, lessons helped to improve it to a pretty neutral plane.
This was sorted in 1 lesson, this was over 3 or 4 lessons and a lot of practice.
But the change was significant and got me down from 10 to category 1.

Improvements since then have been incremental.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What was the change in the lesson?

Really simply just to shift my weight backwards slightly, I was moving weight forward through the swing which (the pro argues) was making it difficult for me to turn through correctly.

Weight shift feels very strange but results are astonishing, without any extra swing effort.

Really interesting to see how the rest of my swing has changed as a result, when i go for my next lesson.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Been having a number of lessons since October. The first change was my grip and posture, now working on swing path and flattening out the downswing. Has made a massive difference to my iron striking and stopped the ball hooking left at 100yds.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Biggest change I've had recently was being told to keep a narrower stance to give myself more freedom of movement.

We were having a wedge lesson, but the coach mentioned to me about my full swing having seen me hit a few drives and I was struggling with a huge slice.

After the lesson I went to the 1st tee and knocked the ball right down the middle. Played 4 par 4's, buttoned every drive and scored 1 over par... with a poor approach leading to the dropped shot.

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
Had a lesson a couple of weeks ago to try to understand the reason why I was slicing my driver so badly but no other club. Had me focusing on hitting more in to out plus closing the clubface.

Lots of range sessions to try and get to grips with it all before taking it onto the course at the weekend. Well.... I couldn't stop hooking the ball! Saw bits of the course that I never knew existed.

Bit more fine tuning required.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had two online lessons since October and have had some majors changes in ball flight. First lesson was to stop a high right shot with longer clubs, everything from 8-58 degree was great but everything else was subject to a high right shot occasionally. Turned out I was tilting my lead hip up on the down swing which resulted in me dropping my right shoulder and leaving the face open and flipping through impact to save it.

Second lesson I just purely put in a video and ask the pro what he saw, hips were much better and he noticed that I set up with my weight majorly on my right side which was causing a sway and a high ball flight and I was not getting all my weight back over and was flipping at the ball. Simple change of weight more over the left side at set up and more of a turn into the right inside foot, has seen my ball flight drastically reduced and about a club and a half increase distance even in the colder weather.

The changes on video are clear to see, and will be continuing with online lessons in the future as its much easier to refer back to with the videos provided. Already come down a shot with a 3rd place on countback in a winter open, so I'm looking forward to the new season.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Had two online lessons since October and have had some majors changes in ball flight. First lesson was to stop a high right shot with longer clubs, everything from 8-58 degree was great but everything else was subject to a high right shot occasionally. Turned out I was tilting my lead hip up on the down swing which resulted in me dropping my right shoulder and leaving the face open and flipping through impact to save it.

Second lesson I just purely put in a video and ask the pro what he saw, hips were much better and he noticed that I set up with my weight majorly on my right side which was causing a sway and a high ball flight and I was not getting all my weight back over and was flipping at the ball. Simple change of weight more over the left side at set up and more of a turn into the right inside foot, has seen my ball flight drastically reduced and about a club and a half increase distance even in the colder weather.

The changes on video are clear to see, and will be continuing with online lessons in the future as its much easier to refer back to with the videos provided. Already come down a shot with a 3rd place on countback in a winter open, so I'm looking forward to the new season.

Interested in the format of online lessons.

Can you post anything further as to how this works, what site you use, etc.

Thanks
Grant

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interested in the format of online lessons.

Can you post anything further as to how this works, what site you use, etc.

Thanks
Grant

I use an app called Skillest. Basically you go on find a pro you want to use and upload a face on and a DTL video, put in a few comments on what you are looking for. There are various different pros on there, some that work with tour pros, some that just do putting and loads of others. I use a guy in Australia, purely for the fact that when I wanted to try I didn't want to spend much in case I didn't get much out of it. So with the currency conversion it works out to about £8.39 for the lesson. Some pros just do individual lessons for a one off fee, some you can go on a plan where you pay a monthly fee and can send as many videos as you want a month.

Once you have uploaded the videos just wait a few days and you'll get an email back saying the lesson has been completed. Go into the app and look at the lesson section and watch the videos. So far I have had videos back with a commentary over my swing detailing what they are seeing and why they are suggesting the change. Then a couple videos of drills that I can refer back to and work on. You can fire questions back and forth, how much obviously depends on the pro you select as to how much they engage, but the guy I use has been great so far. The videos and lesson stay there all the time you just need an internet connection to watch them.

Would definitely recommend it to anyone, that wants to try lessons but isn't sure about their local pro or who has the fear of their swing being torn apart as that not going to happen here.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Link to the website - https://skillest.com/

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I use an app called Skillest. Basically you go on find a pro you want to use and upload a face on and a DTL video, put in a few comments on what you are looking for. There are various different pros on there, some that work with tour pros, some that just do putting and loads of others. I use a guy in Australia, purely for the fact that when I wanted to try I didn't want to spend much in case I didn't get much out of it. So with the currency conversion it works out to about £8.39 for the lesson. Some pros just do individual lessons for a one off fee, some you can go on a plan where you pay a monthly fee and can send as many videos as you want a month.

Once you have uploaded the videos just wait a few days and you'll get an email back saying the lesson has been completed. Go into the app and look at the lesson section and watch the videos. So far I have had videos back with a commentary over my swing detailing what they are seeing and why they are suggesting the change. Then a couple videos of drills that I can refer back to and work on. You can fire questions back and forth, how much obviously depends on the pro you select as to how much they engage, but the guy I use has been great so far. The videos and lesson stay there all the time you just need an internet connection to watch them.

Would definitely recommend it to anyone, that wants to try lessons but isn't sure about their local pro or who has the fear of their swing being torn apart as that not going to happen here.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Link to the website - https://skillest.com/

Fair enough. Sounds like a decent set up and could work out pretty cost effective.