betterball question

effayjay

Club Champion
Visit site
In a betterball Stableford comp Player A and player B are playing as parters. Their playing handicaps are both 18.

On the first Green player A is 5 foot away from the hole having played two shots. He has a tricky put and can’t work out the break.

Player B is also on the green some 15 foot from the hole but has played four shots.

Player B puts first but instead of taking aim at the hole puts his ball at the ball marker set down by player A. Player B manages to put his ball very close to Player A’s marker and then takes his next put at the hole giving player A a view on the break of his put.

What, if any, rules have been breached?

Alan Clifford

Visit site
In a betterball Stableford comp Player A and player B are playing as parters. Their playing handicaps are both 18.

On the first Green player A is 5 foot away from the hole having played two shots. He has a tricky put and can’t work out the break.

Player B is also on the green some 15 foot from the hole but has played four shots.

Player B puts first but instead of taking aim at the hole puts his ball at the ball marker set down by player A. Player B manages to put his ball very close to Player A’s marker and then takes his next put at the hole giving player A a view on the break of his put.

That sounds like very clever, team play to me.

YandaB

Visit site
Specifically mentioned in the 7th bullet point of 1.2a(1)

@effayjay

This sounds like a quiz question. Why did you ask?
Being picky, this is the 7th bullet point of the clarifications of rule 1.2 (I could only see 3 bullet points and thought I was losing the plot :) )

For effayjay's benefit it says in the clarification:

Examples of actions by a player that are likely to be considered serious misconduct include:
  • Deliberately playing away from the hole and then towards the hole to assist the player’s partner (such as helping the player’s partner learn the break on the putting green).

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being picky, this is the 7th bullet point of the clarifications of rule 1.2 (I could only see 3 bullet points and thought I was losing the plot :) )

For effayjay's benefit it says in the clarification:

Examples of actions by a player that are likely to be considered serious misconduct include:
  • Deliberately playing away from the hole and then towards the hole to assist the player’s partner (such as helping the player’s partner learn the break on the putting green).
Thanks for noticing and it's far from being picky to point out a wrong reference.
Brackets instead of a slash. ☹️ Now corrected to 1.2a/1.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Even if this was to happen if I was on the opposing side I would pick up player B's ball and hand it to him conceding the putt before he could take a second putt towards the hole.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
We've already decided that the side is dq'd for a serious breach of conduct - the form of play doesn't matter.