Best UK and Ireland Courses

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
There is nothing better than pouring over the top courses out there don't you reckon?
The Top 120 Courses list with Golf Monthly magazine was just classic.

For me the proliferation of links courses at the top of the list is what its all about - just fires me up big time to go and play, especially on those Scottish links.

Surprised to see Turnberry take the top spot - I am not sure you can beat Royal County Down - it has everything, stunning views, sea right there and most importantly a truly epic course.

Also would have put Carnoustie and Royal St Georges a lot higher - really difficult but satifying courses.

Have not played Western Gailes or North Berwick which both look incredible - can anyone tell me about them?

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
North Berwick is a must play for links enthusiasts such as yourself True Blue. It is classic links in every sense and is situated in an area that lives and breathes golf. If you’re ever in the area and lucky enough to play the likes of Muirfield you should definitely make North Berwick a stop off.
I think the outward holes along the coast represent everything good about British golf and when the wind blows it is a challenge just to avoid the beach!

I also loved the top 120-course supplement-it provided great debate at our course and threw up some interesting entries this year. Perhaps the most surprising debate we had was over St. Andrews and whether tradition and history is enough to keep it in the top 2. Many seem to feel that because it is not the challenge it once was it cannot be considered next to monsters such as Carnoustie. For me you cannot beat the history and nostalgia of the Old Course and I think it still deserves a place near the top of the list.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have to agree that Turnberry was a bit of a surprise being top course - my favourite is also Royal County Down. I can never work out why the Open never goes there - great course amazing views

On another note good to see so many new courses in there - Doonbeg looks awesome

xander

Hacker
Visit site
not sure if it has been done but i would like to see best 100 courses in the uk for under £25.
Its all very well naming alot of the top courses in the country and putting them in a top 120 but at least 1 of them you couldnt play unless you were a member,several of the others you cant play unless you book months in advance and alot of them were £100 or more for green fees.
yes like us all i enjoy a visit to some of our countries fantastic courses but for me it is an occassional treat maybe twice a year but i play golf at least twice a week!

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like the sound of that. as you say its all well and good having your trophy courses but I think I'd need to take a second mortagage out to play all the ones I wanted to from this year's list

come on Golf Monthly lets have a best courses under £25 feature