Best shot you have ever witnessed live?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

Best I have ever witnessed was two friends of mine playing in the semi final of the Hockley winter foursomes. Used to be quite a big competition in it's day, open to both pros and amateurs. My mate was off 5 and his partner off 8 at the time, playing against 2 ladies, both internationals one current one former off +2 and scratch. The guys had been 3 up but the ladies won 14 and 15 to get it back to 1. Squeaky bum time for the guys. On the par 3 16th (playing about 175) the ladies hit their tee shot to 3ft. Up steps the 8capper and hit his tee shot to 2ft. Hole halved in birdies and the guys hung on to make it through to the final.

Please keep this to shots you have actually witnessed, nothing that you saw on TV.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Mid 90's and I'm playing with my mate Andy at the Harleyford. It's the 1st round of the Daily Telegraph 4BBB comp..
I can't remember which hole it was but it's a downhill dogleg right to left. SI 1
The 2 Harleyford guys are safely up the left, we're unsafely down the right.
I try to cut one around the corner and overcook it.
Andy had a slice that put Fragger's to shame. But if he tried to cut it then it would go left..
He looked at me and said "what do I do"
I picked him out a dark patch of tree on the far side and said " get your 7 wood, aim at that patch and hit it hard"
Perfection.
Straight at the dark patch, the slice kicked in and off it went, down the hill, onto the green and stopped 18 inches from the pin...for nett 1.
Sadly we didn't win many more holes..but that shot is vividly in the memory banks.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it’s the fifth at Bay Hill par 5 around a big lake.
Dustin Johnson , He hit 3 iron off the tee.
Right in front of me he hit another 3 iron to the green. It was like a missile.
The noise of the ball was something I had not heard before.
I have played with many scratch and plus players but they never hit a ball like that.
Very impressive player .
Another who impressed was Harris English watched him practicing one evening ,fantastic ball striker.
Hasn’t done much with such talent ,but it’s tough at the top.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Hayling in 25mph wind. Mate off +3 has about 210 left into 12 with wind into off the left

the is ball at least 8inches above his feet.

Starts his 3 wood 60yds left of the green and it moves back to the green about 8ft from the pin

Makes the putt

peld

Visit site
Tiger at the WGC at the Grove in 2006, round 3. Tiger was leading comfortably.
18th was a long uphill par 5. We got in the 18th grandstand to see all the groups finish. No one had hit the green in 2, so best we had seen was a birdie. Last group comes up the fairway (easy to spot with the massive crowd). Tiger is in the rough. He hits a five wood, probably 250 yards, perfectly pin high to about 10 feet and rolls in the putt for eagle.
He went on to win by 8 shots. Different league at that time.

D

Deleted Member 1156

18th was a long uphill par 5. We got in the 18th grandstand to see all the groups finish. No one had hit the green in 2, so best we had seen was a birdie. Last group comes up the fairway (easy to spot with the massive crowd). Tiger is in the rough. He hits a five wood, probably 250 yards, perfectly pin high to about 10 feet and rolls in the putt for eagle.
Apologies if I'm wrong but I thought he did that 3 days out of 4 and there are 3 plaques on the fairway showing where he played from?

I dropped a ball next to one of them and hit 3 wood and came up a good 30-40 yards short :confused:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Only ever been to two golf events and nothing stands out. However...

My mate Mike's 'impossible' flop shot in a club foursomes semi-final at Royal Filton Hills Golf and Country Club (as we used to call it when we were members). All square reaching the 5th extra hole.

A par 3. A long very narrow green, tightly bunkered left and right. Flag between the bunkers. I push our tee shot right, only a little wide of the greenside bunker but in the usual tight lie you find in such circumstances. Steep green side down-slope of the greenside bunker he has to go over will surely fire a pitch just over well past the flag off the green the other side. Our opponents hit their tee shot to 12ft. Easy straight gentle uphill putt. Nailed on two putt. We're surely done for. If Mike takes it on no way that he can get his pitch to stay on the green - and if he hits full flop shot then so easy to thin or go long into left hand bunker. But he might as well have a go.

Under just about as much pressure as we amateur hackers are ever put under - Mike flops an incredible shot stone dead (and we were conceded the putt) and with the pressure on they 3 putt. We win the semifinal and march on to the final.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I was there on day one and he did the same. He drove miles further than ( I think it was) Darren Clarke but into the heavy'ish rough and crushed it on to the green - it was an amazing recovery, as drive4show correctly recalls he did the same on 3 days

peld

Visit site
Apologies if I'm wrong but I thought he did that 3 days out of 4 and there are 3 plaques on the fairway showing where he played from?

I dropped a ball next to one of them and hit 3 wood and came up a good 30-40 yards short :confused:
He did, he had eagled it the two rounds before too. In round 3 when we watched his was the only eagle.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I need to add that the best ever shot ive ever seen was in a 4bbb match, me and my partner v captain and club pro. We have a short par 3 with trouble everywhere my partner put his tee shot on the top of the first bunker on the left side. Now my partner had the worst dose of the chipping yips I've ever seen so he decided to putt with his broom handle putter down the left side of the bunker away from the hole rather than thin it into even a worse lie. The ball went perfectly round the crest of the bunker, through the rough on to the green and did a left to right swing and popped into the hole. The Captain, a total knob was livid but we did go on to win 7 and 6 anyway ?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Certainly the most memorable one for me is Garcia holing a bunker shot at the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles on the Friday morning.
We elected to go ahead of the golf and get a seat and a guaranteed view. Chose a par 3 so we could see all of the hole - was maybe the 4th or 5th hole so we had a bit of a wait to see any action.
Garcia playing with McIlroy came through and Garcia slams a pretty pace bunker shot right into the middle of the flag and it disappears below ground.

Saw a bit of Mickelson at the 2018 Scottish Open. Was certainly great to watch him and you can see why he pulls a crowd, given the shots that he tried to pull off. Played a few high speed aerial shots around the green, but can't remember anything threatening the hole particularly.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I was waiting on the eighth tee at Welton Manor which gave me a glorious, elevated view of our Competition Secretary holing his second shot on the seventh from about 170 yards, over water to a green that isn't very deep. If my memory serves me right, it was one bounce and in.

Wolf

Visit site
We were following Colin Montgomerie on 12th hole at Wentworth back in mid 90s. His tee shot was in the trees on the right with nothing but trees in front of him we thought he'd be chipping out sideways but he took out a long iron aiming miles left and hit it crisply, sliding around everything in front if him and chasing up onto green for a eagle putt.

3 holes later we were stood on right hand side of 15th he does the same overcooked his drive ended up in the trees. He pulled of pretty much the same shot as he did on 12 but this time had to keep it low.

D

Deleted member 16999

I have 2 I can’t split, Rose’s putt on the 17th at Medinah, quickly followed by Kaymer’s putt on 18.

Some incredible Golf played over those 4 days, but for the pure emotion and impact being there plus how they affected the Americans there was just unbelievable.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had the priviliege to watch Lyle and Faldo playing a round at Royal Wimbledon about 3 weeks before Lyle went on to win the Masters. Faldo was about 150-160 yards away. I asked him what he was hitting. There was only the two caddies and a handful of us walking round with them. 6 iron he said. Isn't that too much I innocently asked. He hit it. It shot off like a bullet low soared like an eagle and dropped from the sky as softly as a snowflake to stop about six feet away. The best bit of ball striking I've seen

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most dramatic I’ve seen was Rocca’s putt after his chunked wedge on the 72nd hole of The Open in 1995.

Bizarre couple of minutes and reaction in the huge grandstand to both was incredible.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Got a couple from 1 day. Sunday at Le Golf National.

Was on the bank behind the par 3 11th. Poulter and DJ coming through. Poulter hits a good tee shot to 10-12 feet, something like that. DJ is on the other side of the green, miles from the hole. DJ putts first, obviously and what a putt.
39 seconds here. We're just off the left of the image and it looked in all the way.

A little later on, we moved over to the bank behind the 18th. Yes, we missed everything going on 16, but that's what the screens are for. Watching DeChambeau and Noren come down the stretch, Bryson puts one to 2 ft max. Noren is miles away on the lower portion of the green. We were almost directly on his line, I was jumping about like a madman the moment it made it up the slope.
Again, around 38 seconds. The shot from Bryson was sublime. Absolutely amazing. But the putt, to ensure the match was won knowing that Bryson was close enough to blow it in. Wow.

We saw some incredible golf that day. I'll never forget it.