Best golf coach on youtube ?

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Have had YouTube on whilst WFH and typing on the laptop and it's been Rick Sheils / Danny Maude, i like their style and common sense approach

Without tying myself up in knots listening to too many are there any folks would suggest ?

GBC

Sully

Visit site
Danny Maude , simple straight to the point. Me and my golf is painful in a 15 minute clip they hide 30 seconds of useful video which you have to hunt for. Rickey Shiels is click bait - don't find much useful from him.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Shields is entertaining but I wouldn't watch him for coaching. He gives some useful tips, but there are probably better out there.

If you like everything explained technically it is Chris Ryan.
If you like someone to tell you to whack it it is Danny Maude.
If you like to learn how to play a course then Dan Hendriksen, or even Mark Crossfield.

As a curve ball, Clay Ballard from over the pond. Or Mike Malaska.
When I win the Euromillion and can afford any coach I go with Clay Ballard.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shields is entertaining but I wouldn't watch him for coaching. He gives some useful tips, but there are probably better out there.

If you like everything explained technically it is Chris Ryan.
If you like someone to tell you to whack it it is Danny Maude.
If you like to learn how to play a course then Dan Hendriksen, or even Mark Crossfield.

As a curve ball, Clay Ballard from over the pond. Or Mike Malaska.
When I win the Euromillion and can afford any coach I go with Clay Ballard.

Related to Jimmy Ballard, I presume.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have had YouTube on whilst WFH and typing on the laptop and it's been Rick Sheils / Danny Maude, i like their style and common sense approach

Without tying myself up in knots listening to too many are there any folks would suggest ?

GBC

Danny Maude and Chris Ryan are my favourite Brits.

From the US I like Monte Scheinblum (although more his early stuff, some very simple but good ideas, such as the no turn cast drill).

Jake Hutt on Instagram is pretty good too. Short sharp and punchy and a bit like Monte has a different way of explaining things.

I find the best way to learn is to hear explanations of the same thing from as many different instructors as possible. The swing they all teach isn’t fundamentally different, but how they explain the same thing can be quite different; it’s a case of finding a feel from a drill or explanation or whatever that resonates with you. It’s very unlikely that one single instructor will explain everything in a way that makes sense to you.

As an example I’ve been working recently on connection / syncing of my arms and body following a lesson. Each of the people I’ve mentioned above have different ways of explaining how to achieve that, different drills etc, but they all are trying to teach the same thing.

Fabia999

Visit site
Rick Shiels definitely has the best budget and editor, recently the cinematics have been amazing with a drone, and he does good tips but he is all about the revenue now. 5 sets of 2 adverts during a 15 minute video is awful.

so Rick Shiels, Danny Maude or Chris Ryan.

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
I would 100% agree with Mike Malaska he makes everything so simple, you think to yourself, why have I been trying to over complicate things all these years! He has his own site, but you can get enough of his material on youtube.

the two videos above were game changers for me

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It wasn't that great.
I know several players who had loads of lessons with him and they didn't improve one bit.

I get that sometimes an individual and a coach don't click and you do the lesson and the drills after and it doesn't work. Surely if others have had loads of lessons then it is down to them to speak to the pro and work out why the lessons are failing. It is a two way street