Best course.

D

Deleted member 17920

I cant make my mind up with the best course to date.

Links....

Royal County Down, Turnberry and Trump Aberdeen are all stand outs.

Then Heathland.

Sunningdale Old, Woodhall Spa and Swinley Forest are just incredible as well.

We are so spoilt in this country for amazing golf courses.

D

Deleted member 21258

Really depends on how you measure a great hole, do you measure it on a golf test basis or memorable holes.

I think I would measure it on memorable holes, so the likes of muirfield, Hoylake, brabazon, old course, RSG, turnberry don't cut it for me.

Would end up with something like Cleeve Hill, Bamburgh, Austin Lodge or Royal Lytham, Royal Clinque ports or Woburn Marquees. I know a bit out there :p

Have read about Tralee and really looking forward to playing due to the memorable holes that it is meant to have.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really depends on how you measure a great hole, do you measure it on a golf test basis or memorable holes.

I think I would measure it on memorable holes, so the likes of muirfield, Hoylake, brabazon, old course, RSG, Turnberry don't cut it for me.
The 9th, the Lighthouse hole? You don't find that memorable? Tough judge :D

D

Deleted member 1147

I think I would measure it on memorable holes, so the likes of muirfield, Hoylake, brabazon, old course, RSG, turnberry don't cut it for me.

Would end up with something like Cleeve Hill, Bamburgh, Austin Lodge or Royal Lytham, Royal Clinque ports or Woburn Marquees. I know a bit out there :p

Have read about Tralee and really looking forward to playing due to the memorable holes that it is meant to have.
Which holes on the Marquess makes it one of the best courses?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Monte Mayor ................................ by a distance.
Unfortunately it's now closed, but what a course.
It probably had 15 holes I'd describe as memorable .......................... or possibly all of them.
Even the drive to get there was memorable, from a rally driving perspective!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Be interested to see if you share the Tralee love.(y)

Visit site
After today, Hillside. For the time of year the greens were just fantastic, quick and true. We played it off the tees the pros played yesterday, same pin positions and a couple of new tees on 14 and 18 with spectacular views. I can now see what Greg Norman sees in the back 9. And it’s not every day you share the putting green with a legend of Liverpool FC.

You watch the pros play and then when you hit your Sunday best drive from the same tee, you realise your so far behind where they were at. They are on a different planet.

Just a great 2 days at Hillside.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Be interested to see if you share the Tralee love.(y)
After today, Hillside. For the time of year the greens were just fantastic, quick and true. We played it off the tees the pros played yesterday, same pin positions and a couple of new tees on 14 and 18 with spectacular views. I can now see what Greg Norman sees in the back 9. And it’s not every day you share the putting green with a legend of Liverpool FC.

You watch the pros play and then when you hit your Sunday best drive from the same tee, you realise your so far behind where they were at. They are on a different planet.

Just a great 2 days at Hillside.
I'm guessing Greg Norman hasn't played the back 9 at Tralee ;)

briannn

Hacker
Visit site
The best course I've played would be either the ailsa or Dornoch. However, if it was based on enjoyment I would pick Machrihanish dunes. Try to get up there at least once a year

D

Deleted member 25172

Haven't played many top courses, and even though it kicked the living hell out of me - so far I'd have to say Royal Cinque Ports. I just recently played Carnoustie, but I'd hold RCP higher. Playing both Sunningdale courses with the forum this summer, and given some of the earlier responses here, there's a strong possibility of me having a new favorite course come July.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I genuinely reckon the best course is my home course at East Ren. So glad I joined and wish I had sooner.

Granted I haven't played a whole load of 'top' courses. Other notables are the New Course, Nairn, Machirihanish and Glasgow Gailles.

Nairn is probably my favourite out of that lot, but it's been a few years since I've played it.

Personally think it is very difficult to gunge a course with 1 round. Need to play it a few times.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Completely agree with your measuring stick there.

Obviously for big events a course has to be a good test for the best golfers. But for amateurs, it has to be fun and memorable.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At the moment it's Swinley
That may change later in the year

Or it may not...
Swinley is a hard one as it somehow retains that bygone feel to it and it always feels a unique experience playing there. Very similar to the feeling I got when we rocked up at the New Zealand club. I really enjoyed watching Hillside on the box at the weekend at it brought back great memories of the GM day and it is definitely one of the best courses in terms of design. For me, it has to be a well designed course (perhaps why I love Swinley, Berkshire, Sunningdale etc) but there are some members clubs I could happily play for the rest of my golf such as Cuddington. Is it a "best" course? No but with a nice atmosphere, good holes, great views over London there is much to enjoy