Best course.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
So what is the best course you've played?
I think it should be based on the number of good holes, rather than its prestige. For example, the OC and the Brabazon have a couple of great holes but the others might seem a bit average.

The Scottish golf supplement in Golf Monthly (circa 1985) gave a comment along the lines 'It might sound heretical but given a choice between playing at Gleneagles or Boat of Garten I would choose the latter'. I never played Gleneagles but was encouraged to play the Boat several times, where I found the fairly ordinary par 3 first hole is followed by 17 excellent holes.

D

Deleted member 15344

Royal County Down - been a while but can’t recall any poor holes

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Someone said to me that Royal County Down was far and away absolutely the best course in these fair isles, out on its own.

Before playing it I thought, no, can't be, the top 10 have millimetres between them.

After playing it, I agreed with them.

But then I played Tralee, mind change again.(y)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
One of my most memorable rounds was recently at Belle Dunes. It’s variety of holes was what impressed me most about the course. Considering it only cost £20 it’s exceptional value too.

Of the top courses I’ve played I’d have Turnberry. Whether it has the best 18 I’ve played, or even 12, I’m not sure. But it has a stretch of them, from the first par 3 along the beach til you’ve gone past the lighthouse that are superb.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Only kidding but at the courses mentioned can you view ospreys, ride on a steam train, view mountain scenery, take to the ski slopes, play tennis and golf?

Country membership at the Boat is about the same as a day at the Carnegie.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately I haven't played the top courses.

But in my experience Saunton East, I'm not a huge links fan but that course is beautifully laid out

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
i think tomorrow i may be saying the Old Course at Sunningdale, but right now i is probably St Enodoc in Cornwall.

So many mentioned on here are right! (if you see what I mean) I've played a lot of them and I struggle to be clear about a favourite. I am sure I preferred Sunningdale Old to the New, then I am not so sure... although maybe the new has a less visually appealing start.... but actually, who cares! :)

I love St Enodoc....enough to want to move there and be a member...but the 13th and 14th holes seem weaker.... but teeing off by the church with the views of the bay? Crikey .... on a sunny day, where else would I rather be? Not sure... Turnberry, Porthcawl for the elevation changes and sea views...

Pass!!

D

Deleted member 17920

So many mentioned on here are right! (if you see what I mean) I've played a lot of them and I struggle to be clear about a favourite. I am sure I preferred Sunningdale Old to the New, then I am not so sure... although maybe the new has a less visually appealing start.... but actually, who cares! :)

I love St Enodoc....enough to want to move there and be a member...but the 13th and 14th holes seem weaker.... but teeing off by the church with the views of the bay? Crikey .... on a sunny day, where else would I rather be? Not sure... Turnberry, Porthcawl for the elevation changes and sea views...

Pass!!
Let me know when you join and we will be down for a game ;)