Best cheap courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 31467
  • Start date

D-S

Visit site
I've played 21 of these and they are a really mixed bunch.
There are 'proper' courses, 'average 'courses and 'acquired tastes' (but if you like natural you will love them). Examples are - in the first category I would put Tadmarton Heath, Tenby, Rolls of Monmouth and Machynys, in the 2nd Weston Super Mare, Bude and West Cornwall and in the 3rd category Minch Old, Painswick and Cleeve Hill.
As everything in golf it depends what you are looking for, not how much you pay.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
From the list, I've played,

Painswick - last year
Bude - more than 50 years ago
The Northumberland - 41 years ago
Langland Bay - more than 50 years ago
Clyne - more than 50 years ago

Albo

Visit site
Have played 3 of these I think.
Number 5 - One of my favourite courses I’ve ever played an absolute delight.
Number 30 - I played that really well this year damn that 3 putt on the last!
Number 42 (I think) - Played a few years ago, was nice but not as nice as the above 2

Springveldt

Visit site
I still haven't played it. It's part of the Braid Association, £40 midweek, so I should make the effort really. How do you rate it?
It’s a good course just not as good as they think. I’ve enjoyed every time I’ve played it, last time it was a bit rough as they were having a few issues (last year, greens bumpy and some bunkers had the lining showing). Just think it’s massively overpriced but I guess the membership is seen as a status symbol in some peoples eyes.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Ive played five of them. You can take off Reddish Vale. It must be an old list. It's not the course it once was.
I played it last year, a quirky course which I think I enjoyed (it rained all day) but I'm not sure. Holes like the par 3 9th, really? The 6th and 18th? What are they about? The rest of the course was pretty good, but we played in September, and they had suffered badly from last year's drought (oh for a drought) and it all looked a bit ropey.

Other than that I've played 10 others with the pick being Cavendish and an honourable mention to Seascale, you probably won't find a more underrated course anywhere.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I still haven't played it. It's part of the Braid Association, £40 midweek, so I should make the effort really. How do you rate it?

Played it a couple times now.
Was a bit disappointed tbh
But maybe that might have been coz the place was bigged up by others that much, maybe I was expecting more...too much?
Decent layout
Not spectacular, infact not too many memorable holes
Greens were great
Very fast, but very undulating too

Really gotta play it to decide for yourself, and tick off the list

There was always a bit mystique about what went on through them gates when I started playing
So many tales
They never really advertised green fees years ago, nor did they ever advertise the membership fees
If you had to ask.......

Bobthesock

Visit site
What's Windermere doing on there?! It's fairly local to me so don't mind playing if I can get a cheap hot deal or something but wouldn't consider it a "top 100" in any category apart from hilliest