Best cheap courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 31467
  • Start date

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sure, someone in Wick will not consider Thurso remote but the majority of inhabitants of the UK would regard both as remote. The point is that Inverness itself is not really a large population area and is remote in terms of time and distance from other population areas. By no means all the courses are remote but there is a tendency from them to be at a distance from the major population areas so I don't think remote is an unreasonable term though it obviously will depend on personal definitions.
Of course, castle Stuart would be remote from London or even Edinburgh 400 miles closer, but definitely not from Inverness. TBH my definition of remote would be Silloth and Southerness. They are miles from even the local village 🤣🤣

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How about that course on Jura that costs £1600 a round?
Probably cost people £1600 to get there. 😂
Of course, castle Stuart would be remote from London or even Edinburgh 400 miles closer, but definitely not from Inverness. TBH my definition of remote would be Silloth and Southerness. They are miles from even the local village 🤣🤣

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Sure, someone in Wick will not consider Thurso remote but the majority of inhabitants of the UK would regard both as remote. The point is that Inverness itself is not really a large population area and is remote in terms of time and distance from other population areas. By no means all the courses are remote but there is a tendency from them to be at a distance from the major population areas so I don't think remote is an unreasonable term though it obviously will depend on personal definitions.
Ah OK, the definition of "remote" is remote from you. Got it. :rolleyes:

Nobody in Scotland would consider GoS remote, except if using your definition of personally remote.

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely remote means - situated far from any areas of significant population

The likes of Inverness are areas of significant population 🤷‍♂️

sunshine

Visit site

Nobody in Scotland would consider GoS remote, except if using your definition of personally remote.

No, just remote for a large percentage of the population.

If a place is accessible to 50,000 people in the UK but inaccessible to the remaining 67.3m it’s fair to call it remote.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Well I've lived most of my life in Scotland my next door neighbour was actually a member at GoS, I've played it several times myself. I do have some understanding , Terms like remote are always relative but to give an example a general practice in GoS would come under the heading remote and rural in Scotland.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
That is the very definition of remote. A small obscure village in the middle of nowhere.
It's not in the middle of nowhere, it's near a city, it's by one of Scotland's main arteries, and next to a very busy tourist town, it's only remote from YOU. London is remote to me for god's sake

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Played quite a few of those. I'm also a member of 43 and 57.

I played Brampton last year with my wife's uncle when we went up to visit - honestly really impressed me, one of the better courses I have played and some stunning scenery! Just kept so well!

sunshine

Visit site
It's not in the middle of nowhere, it's near a city, it's by one of Scotland's main arteries, and next to a very busy tourist town, it's only remote from YOU. London is remote to me for god's sake
You’re repeating the same mistake. It’s ok, Backache has explained this pretty well.

Deijavoo

Medal Winner
Visit site
I played Brampton last year with my wife's uncle when we went up to visit - honestly really impressed me, one of the better courses I have played and some stunning scenery! Just kept so well!
Glad to hear it. Course Manager is a top lad and wants to keep improving the standards. They've made some simple changes over the Winter that are really impressive, and also taken some of the slightly crueler elements out.

Some of the holes are absolute belters, and for a good part of it you can not be too harshly punished with bad tee shots. Still 143 on the slope rating off our White tees though.

Not a course for those that don't like a hike if not in a buggy it's worth saying too.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nah he hasnt mate. He doesnt understand Aviemore isn't remote, nor or Grantown, or Inverness. Only to him.
And most of the Scottish population.
I was in Aviemore last weekend took forever to get up the A9.
Meantime my sister was in Inverness having cycled the Hebridean way and it took her over 24 hours to get to London.