Best cheap courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 31467
  • Start date
Visit site
Its interesting
I never think of myself as having played a lot of different courses (esp as I hardly played for 25 years) and been in Europe for the past 16 yrs...
But I've played 7 of these
Seacroft, Dunaverty, Stranraer, Eden St Andrews, Gullane 3, Portpatrick, Pitlochry (2nd ever eagle), & Teignmouth Castle

D-S

Visit site
Normally courses that get in the Top 100 lists put their prices up accordingly, but if these courses do then they won’t be in this Top 100 - bit of a dilemma.

I would be interested in a ‘value for money’ Top 100 list. Doesn’t mean they would have to be cheap but if they are pricey they just have to be very, very good. I certainly know a few in the usual Top 💯 lists that wouldn’t get anywhere near a Top 1000 value list.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Now £45 for a Cornwall County Card holder but no advertised prices for other county cards.

I’ve noticed county cards becoming more and more pointless recently, it’s another “hidden inflation” type thing.

Restrictions are becoming common such as Monday to Thursday only, max use of 1 per year, it has to be a county card from that specific county, etc, all whilst upping the county card rate significantly.
We don't pay for our county card, so any discount is a bonus.

Albo

Visit site
Normally courses that get in the Top 100 lists put their prices up accordingly, but if these courses do then they won’t be in this Top 100 - bit of a dilemma.

I would be interested in a ‘value for money’ Top 100 list. Doesn’t mean they would have to be cheap but if they are pricey they just have to be very, very good. I certainly know a few in the usual Top 💯 lists that wouldn’t get anywhere near a Top 1000 value list.
That’s an excellent idea

rystaman

Visit site
Kington is a great course that absolutely battered me last year. Llandrindod Wells is nice as well and that only cost me £35 on GolfNow I believe.

sunshine

Visit site
This list might as well be “top 100 remote courses”, location seems to be a major driver of price.

Seacroft is now £60, and I’m sure many on this list have succumbed to rampant price inflation.

Although county card is free, it seems that the discounts offered are becoming less significant.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
This list might as well be “top 100 remote courses”, location seems to be a major driver of price.
Newmacher - 10 miles from Aberdeen city centre
Forfar - 10 miles from Dundee
Grantown-on-Spey - 20 miles from Inverness
Lanark - you can see Glasgow
Kings - literally in Inverness
Paisley - it's on Paisley
Carlisle?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played 24 of them. As a London based golfer, a bit surprising that more of the 24 are in Scotland than not. And think that I enjoyed all of them and would happily play any of them again. Perhaps they don't hit my most favourite ever list, but to my mind all 24 worth playing.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Makes me wonder how/ who makes up these lists , in the Bunkered top 50 courses under £50 in Uk. Seacroft wasn’t even on the list, Shiskine was number 1, majority of courses were Scottish so many on the other list weren’t on.

D

Deleted member 31467

Makes me wonder how/ who makes up these lists , in the Bunkered top 50 courses under £50 in Uk. Seacroft wasn’t even on the list, Shiskine was number 1, majority of courses were Scottish so many on the other list weren’t on.
Am I right in thinking that Bunkered is a Scottish magazine which would explain the bias?

sunshine

Visit site
Carlisle?
Exactly. Inverness! I had to look it up on the map. How remote can you get!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Carlisle?
They are not all remote, but 20 miles from Inverness is still quite a distance from most conurbations.
Lanark is actually a fair drive from Glasgow for somewhere so close.
Haggs castle isn't completely inconvenient from the centre of Glasgow though.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
They are not all remote, but 20 miles from Inverness is still quite a distance from most conurbations.
Lanark is actually a fair drive from Glasgow for somewhere so close.
Haggs castle isn't completely inconvenient from the centre of Glasgow though.
Grantown on Spey is a town with a population of 2500, it's just off the A9, and is 14 miles from Aviemore. It's not by any stretch a remote place.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Grantown on Spey is a town with a population of 2500, it's just off the A9, and is 14 miles from Aviemore. It's not by any stretch a remote place.
I know, I've played it, but it depends on what your definition of remote is. It is quite a distance from the major conurbations. A population of 2500 would constitute a village in most parts of the UK.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I know, I've played it, but it depends on what your definition of remote is. It is quite a distance from the major conurbations. A population of 2500 would constitute a village in most parts of the UK.
In the scheme of things 20 miles is nothing out in the backwaters🤣 I travel 20.miles each way to play golf, my mate is member at Boat of Garten and Dornoch. Bog is only 25 miles and only takes him 40.mins door to door and Dornoch under an hour and that's about 50s miles. 20 miles in the SE might take you over an hour to drive

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the scheme of things 20 miles is nothing out in the backwaters🤣 I travel 20.miles each way to play golf, my mate is member at Boat of Garten and Dornoch. Bog is only 25 miles and only takes him 40.mins door to door and Dornoch under an hour and that's about 50s miles. 20 miles in the SE might take you over an hour to drive
Sure, someone in Wick will not consider Thurso remote but the majority of inhabitants of the UK would regard both as remote. The point is that Inverness itself is not really a large population area and is remote in terms of time and distance from other population areas. By no means all the courses are remote but there is a tendency from them to be at a distance from the major population areas so I don't think remote is an unreasonable term though it obviously will depend on personal definitions.