Best and worst towns in Britain

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
not sure its the worst place i've been too but we ended up at Dungeness on Friday - my god its weird.

i was massively disappointed that people weren't glowing and there were no locals with webbed feet or 2 heads but i remembered that they breed in Norwich.
Funny - I was there Friday also. But its a great place. (But weird is a good description). Cant really call it a town though.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just you, there is no definition of where the man you met is going and the rest is irrelevant.

1 is one answer, but the riddle suggests all were going to St.Ives, because it asks how many were on their way there.

I'm no mathematician, but I'll compute 1 + 1 + 7 + (7x7) + (7x7x7) + (7x7x7x7) = do my head in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
1 is one answer, but the riddle suggests all were going to St.Ives, because it asks how many were on their way there.

I'm no mathematician, but I'll compute 1 + 1 + 7 + (7x7) + (7x7x7) + (7x7x7x7) = do my head in.
This in bold is a step too far, unless you count sacks as being sentient beings. :unsure: Besides, I'm pretty sure 1 was the correct answer anyway. :p

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you haven't been there, don't miss out on Lichfield.
A cathedral with an amazing front, medieval buildings, lakes, parks.
Notable people include Dr. Samuel Johnson (author of the first English dictionary) and Erasmus Darwin (naturalist uncle of Charles and author of Zoonomia).
You can visit both of their residences in the town centre.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I disagree on that. The riddle says 'as I was going to St Ives' so that is one person going. As with many of these mathmatical problems put on social media, they leave out enough detail so there is no correct answer but, in a question such as this, there is only one person definitely going to St IVes, the others could be going anywhere or, in fact, not even be there at all.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not sure either if it's the place in Cambridgeshire or Cornwall.

So, I'll redo the puzzle.

As I was on a train in Cornwall (next stop St.Ives) I met a man with 7 wives... you know the rest.
Including the sacks, how many were going to St.Ives, excluding all other passengers, train crew and their possessions?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

As I was on a train in Cornwall (next stop St.Ives) I met a man with 7 wives... you know the rest.
Including the sacks, how many were going to St.Ives, excluding all other passengers, train crew and their possessions?

Again not enough info….Is St Ives the end of the line or does the Train go further?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again not enough info….Is St Ives the end of the line or does the Train go further?

And was the man on the train alone or were the 7 wives with him. Just because he has 7 wives it does not mean they are on the train. In this case, you cannot say anyone is travelling to St Ives unless that is the only place that the train goes. All you ahve is 2 people on a train, both going to an idefined location.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

I suspect Tashyboy was going to the St Ives in Cambridgeshire, as he was also going to Ely.

Does that make a difference to the riddle?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect Tashyboy was going to the St Ives in Cambridgeshire, as he was also going to Ely.

If it was Tashy it would be more like...Tashy was going to St Ives, on the way met a man with 7 wives, he asked him "now then me man, aaah come thas got 7 wives?" ?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And was the man on the train alone or were the 7 wives with him. Just because he has 7 wives it does not mean they are on the train. In this case, you cannot say anyone is travelling to St Ives unless that is the only place that the train goes. All you ahve is 2 people on a train, both going to an idefined location.
Train don't stop in Camborne Wednesdays, so maybe the man, wives, sacks and cats were standing on the station when the train didn't stop.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If it was Tashy it would be more like...Tashy was going to St Ives, on the way met a man with 7 wives, he asked him "now then me man, aaah come thas got 7 wives?" ?
Trust me, when I read the initial post on here I read it to Missis T and me mum. I wish I hadn’t because it kicked off like it had on here. That said the answer to your post is 9 ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

St Ives in Cambridge is nice. ? allegedly the nicest toll church on a bridge ???

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
On the main line to Penzance, it's the end of a branch line.

"Change at St Erth for St Ives" is what the announcement says once you've got past Bristol on the train.
You could go further, but you'd end up in the sea.

The reason why the assembly were going to St.Ives is simply because it rhymes with wives.

BTW, the answer to the riddle is 2802.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck with Mansfield.
As for St.Ives can you solve the puzzle.

As I was going to St.Ives
I met a man with 7 wives
Each wife had 7 sacks
Each sack had 7 cats
Each cat had 7 kits.
Kits, cats, sacks, wives
How many were going to St.Ives?

Won't accept 1 as an answer!

42. The answer to everything is 42 ...