Best and worst towns in Britain

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Kelso is quite nice spent a week there a few years ago. Hadca nice mix of old building, shops and nice pubs. Lovely countryside.

Ludlow is pretty nice to would happily live in either of these.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Stepson lives in Rhyl. Popped in to see him on the way up to Justone's to the other week.
Some very scarey, hefty, tattooed types looked a bit menacing. The blokes didn't look much friendlier either. I wouldn't want to live there
????

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Blackpool is only a bit rough because of who it attracts.
I'd prefer to live there than in London (I did once).
It has a good coastline, even if the sea is usually grey.
To the north is Morecambe Bay and the Lake District.
To the east, the Yorkshire Dales and Bowland.
I've also walked the Lancashire Coastal Way and found many quiet areas to the north of Blackpool leading up to Cumbria.
They even had a good football team once.

It is about who it attracts, and some of who live there, but that doesn’t excuse it from being a cesspit. It’s up to the local mayor and councillors to change that, if they want to.

What it’s like further up the coast has no bearing on what it’s like.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
You clearly have not been on the ground in Digbeth for years.

I walk through it at least once a year. Derelict buildings, graffiti, old factories and warehouses, drunks, yobs, pollution, blocked off roads, grimy railway arches.
The only people who seem to live there are in a Victorian style terrace that has somehow escaped the bulldozer.

But then you don't know Birmingham based upon your comments re: accents.
Of course not. I was only born right in the middle of it and have spent some of my working life in the city centre.
I also speak with a Birmingham accent.

Brummies do not say "Yam", that is strictly Black Country and is why folk from the BC are known as "yam, yams" and Brummies are called "yo, yoes".
So there is no cross over for you. Who actually knows where where the BC starts and ends. It's more of a place of the mind.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Spent 3 days recently in Oban. Loved it. I could live there.
Not sure what it is like for golf there though.

Having played Oban and other courses around, I'd say if you like playing out of a bog it's great.
The one I've had most enjoyment is on the Isle of Seil to the south of Oban.

D

Deleted member 18588

I walk through it at least once a year. Derelict buildings, graffiti, old factories and warehouses, drunks, yobs, pollution, blocked off roads, grimy railway arches.
The only people who seem to live there are in a Victorian style terrace that has somehow escaped the bulldozer.

Of course not. I was only born right in the middle of it and have spent some of my working life in the city centre.
I also speak with a Birmingham accent.

So there is no cross over for you. Who actually knows where where the BC starts and ends. It's more of a place of the mind.

I was born in Handsworth and spent much of my working life in the City Centre and dealing with clients and their employees throughout the West Midlands.

Inall that time I have never heard Brummie use the expression "yam".

As for Digbeth I still reckon that it must be several years since you went near the place.

Regarding the definition of the Black Country I would agree that it is open to discussion.

I have known some who maintain that Wolverhampton isn't included but Bilston is!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
As for Digbeth I still reckon that it must be several years since you went near the place.

I walked right through it earlier this year through the back streets.
I close my eyes when passing above it on the train.
No wonder the Peaky Blinders were here.
The Old Crown pub which used to be in my family is the only building worth seeing.

D

Deleted member 18588

I walked right through it earlier this year through the back streets.
I close my eyes when passing above it on the train.
No wonder the Peaky Blinders were here.
The Old Crown pub which used to be in my family is the only building worth seeing.

The Shelbys (Peaky Blinders) were based in Bordesley Green not Digbeth and the real life version of their pub is still (just about) standing.

The Garrison Tavern in Garrison Lane just down from the Blues ground.

I take it you are not a fan of The Custard House and other developments in Digbeth which after all, has not been a residential area for many years but more a place of employment.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The Shelbys (Peaky Blinders) were based in Bordesley Green not Digbeth and the real life version of their pub is still (just about) standing.

The Garrison Tavern in Garrison Lane just down from the Blues ground.

I take it you are not a fan of The Custard House and other developments in Digbeth which after all, has not been a residential area for many years but more a place of employment.
Had a meal in a cafe in the Custard House and took a look around Mutt Motorcycles not long back. Graffiti in the arches were clever but not really my thing.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Barrow in Furness. At the end es of the longest cul de sac in UK from Junction 36 M6.Arriving on A590 a nightmare journey.

Good- Kendal, Keswick, Ulverston, Kirby Lonsdale