Best and worst towns in Britain

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I see quite a few opinions on this, and all a matter opinion.
Peterborough gets a bad rating, but I quite like it.
St Ives (Cornwall) is apparently the best and happiest place to live.

Apart from passing through on the train I have never been to this place:
Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
It isn't fit for humans now,
There isn't grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!
(John Betjeman poem 1937).

Is it really that bad?

PS I haven't been to Jaywick, either.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Port towns generally seem to be amongst the worst. Places like Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth, Grimsby, Hull, Dundee, Peterhead, Milford Haven, Felixstowe and Immingham are some of the worst places I've been to.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like the two North Yorks towns of Richmond and Barnard Castle also like Skipton, Largs and Newton Stewart.
I will not be buying property in Blackpool, Grangemouth or Port Talbot.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll back my own, Morpeth in Northumberland, and throw in Harrogate and Richmond in N. Yorks. I could live in any of those very happily, and do in one of them :).

Worst is always one to cause issues but I will join Kellfire in quoting the Boro and join Doon in voting for Blackpool. I hope never to return to either.

@Doon frae Troon , Barnard Castle is in Co.Durham but it is still nice nevertheless (y)

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I agree that Morpeth and Barnard Castle are nice places.
Any small town is likely to be better than a large one.

Blackpool gets a bad press, but it has plenty of visitors.
Driving the length of the illuminations is amazing.

Peterhead is great for fish and chips.
I'll take your word for Jaywick, but maybe it's so bad it's actually worth going to.

Worcester is a nice town. I'll give it 9/10.
Cathedral, river, town, cricket, golf, horse racing, rowing, rugby, but not football.
Edward Elgar was born nearby and lived most of his life in and around Worcester.
The Malvern Hills are just down the road.

Shrewsbury, Evesham, Cheltenham, Gloucester, Stroud are fine with me.

Robin Hood

Visit site
I have seen most towns during my working life; the worst (in my opinion) include:
Barnsley, Middlesbrough, Blackpool and St Austell
My favourites: Keswick, St Ives, Cheltenham and Durham (I know it’s a city - but it is a small one)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Barnsley must be down (up?) there with the worst. Mining town where the locals still moan about how there are no jobs now the pits have shut and don't like the council spending any money to try try and improve the place. And one of the local villages is called Grimethorpe -enough said!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Port towns generally seem to be amongst the worst. Places like Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth, Grimsby, Hull, Dundee, Peterhead, Milford Haven, Felixstowe and Immingham are some of the worst places I've been to.

When were you last in Dundee?
In 2014, Dundee was in the running to be voted European City of Culture. In 2016, Dundee was voted as offering the best quality of life in the UK. Dundee's low pollution, moderate cost of living, high purchasing power and high safety index all contribute to its being an excellent place to live.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Barnsley must be down (up?) there with the worst. Mining town where the locals still moan about how there are no jobs now the pits have shut and don't like the council spending any money to try try and improve the place. And one of the local villages is called Grimethorpe -enough said!
Wow not a fan of my home town then? ?

Grimethorpe is a dump.

Dewsbury & Bradford make Barnsley look like St Ives.

AAC

Visit site

Wasn't Grimethorpe the Colliery band in the film Brassed Off ? (good film BTW)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
There are so many dumps it’s difficult to choose, but Hartlepool is right up there when it comes to candidates for armpit of the universe. Leicester is another absolute cesspit, and of the many so-called holiday destinations Paignton is the pits. Truly grotty.

Best? It’s tough to think of too many but I like lots of Lake and Peak District towns, Ambleside being a favourite of mine for the pubs and the walking.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
In defence of Middlesbrough, there’s parts of it I wouldn’t go through in an armoured truck… strictly speaking I wouldn’t want to live in any part of Middlesbrough but Middlesbrough is actually a very small part of the conurbation. Those that know the area well would be more than happy to live in Marton or Nunthorpe, and probably couldn’t afford a house there.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/108690710#/?channel=RES_BUY

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/108353579#/?channel=RES_BUY

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wow not a fan of my home town then? ?

Grimethorpe is a dump.

Dewsbury & Bradford make Barnsley look like St Ives.
Grew up in Barnsley, wife is from there and parents/in laws still live there so can speak from experience. Only Barnsley could spend millions on a new retail/leisure venue in the town centre just before the pandemic - no shops look like they will move in and the cinema/bowling alley will probably never happen.