Best and worst things about winter golf

Topper_Harley

Medal Winner
Visit site
With the evenings getting darker and the mornings getting colder, winter golf is now upon us.

I have to say that I enjoy it. The softer greens, damper air, etc. make it an entirely different game and enables you to use different shotmaking skills.

If the sun shines, is there a better way to spend a winter's morning?

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree winter golf is wicked - is there a better feeling than finishing a tough round at lunchtime on a saturday and sitting down to your first pint knowing that sport on tv, food and a few lagers is all the afternoon will encompass!

Rain is a different proposition though...

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Golf is made for summer! I always kid myself and think winter golf is ok then I get to December and realise its just wrong that I’m playing when I can’t even get the tee in the ground!

BigStu

Hacker
Visit site
Winter golf is certainly a bit different! On some courses(certainly here in Scotland), if you actually manage to play a good shot and land on the fairway you then(as punishment I think) have to play your next shot from a piece of artificial grass to completely complicate your approach shot. This can be hit heavy, thinned or get some sort of incredible flier that goes 20 yards further than required, usually into some sort of trouble! If you do happen to catch it just right then it will no doubt land near the pin with a ridiculous amount of unwanted spin turning the birdie putt you had hoped for into a probable 3 putt. But isn't it all great fun!

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think that s a great idea to protect the courses. I appreciate it can be frustrating but I have no problems with playing off winter tees to temporary greens or even playing off mats from the fairway if it means the course is in better condition for the summer!

BigStu

Hacker
Visit site
I would certainly agree with that and I do take it all in good fun over the winter season. The game, for me, just becomes more fun than a serious game.

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never forget a winter round at Poult Wood in Tonbridge in my earliest golfing days. My mate hit a towering iron into a par-3 only to watch it twang nearly as high in the air off a frost-encrusted green before bounding off into the cabbage. The look on his face was a picture - especially when we pointed out the shot was really a lower pitch and run through the concrete front bunker with just enough pace to climb over the face and release down to the hole....
Not so sure about winter golf now but a bright, crisp day on a bone-dry links has a certain appeal still

JohnWT

Medal Winner
Visit site
Surely the best thing about winter golf is driving off into the sun early in the morning when the fairways are still dewy and having absolutely no idea where the ball has gone. Usually takes a couple of minutes for the purple lights dancing in front of your eyes to recede.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When nobody else is crazy enough to go out on the course it's a great smug feeling when you make it back to the clubhouse after battling your way round. You can sit enjoying a pint looking out at the course and say stuff like: "People don't know what there missing." and "It's actually in pretty good nick for the time of year."

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The halway house takes on a new role during the winter - vitally important.

Hot tipple of choice?

Mine's a cuppa soup - minestrone.

Topper_Harley

Medal Winner
Visit site
Bovril every time - I bet Woods, Garcia, Els, Nicklaus, Palmer, Player and Ballesteros all drink it. Let's face it - it's the real golfer's only choice.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Trueblue, does your halfway house have a licence to sell booze? If so, what the name of your course? I'd love to sink a few whisky's at half time- probably sort out my new driving.