Not Missing Sunday Morning Golf

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Posted about this a while back. But I'd got fed up with the pace of play at my place on the weekend mornings. I just wasn't enjoying playing and standing around on every shot. Main reason is too many people on the course at the same time and the club doesn't seem to be interested in addressing it.

So made the decision to stop playing on Sunday mornings after it being a ritual since I started playing 6 years ago. Thought I'd miss it but it's actually the complete opposite.

I don't have to get up early to get out before it gets really mental. I don't have to queue on the tee for 30 mins to go out. I don't get wound up going round because it's so slow and come home in a bad mood having been out for the thick end of 6h. I don't have to abandon medal rounds after 9h because I'm not going to have time to finish all 18.

I have time to do other things on Sunday that I enjoy rather than loosing most of the day to golf.

I still play during the week, just go out for 9 holes, and every so often and play 9 on Sat\Sun PM when it quietens down.

Just playing on my own at the moment and actually really enjoying it. I need to work out what to do in comps as I really enjoy competitive rounds, but that's all Sat\Sun morning and makes things even slower. Also need to figure out what to do in the Winter. Start playing in the morning again, or just not play.

I think we get into such a routine with golf sometimes, making a change seems unthinkable. But glad I did.

My weekends have become relaxing again. Which is what they should be.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Posted about this a while back. But I'd got fed up with the pace of play at my place on the weekend mornings. I just wasn't enjoying playing and standing around on every shot. Main reason is too many people on the course at the same time and the club doesn't seem to be interested in addressing it.

So made the decision to stop playing on Sunday mornings after it being a ritual since I started playing 6 years ago. Thought I'd miss it but it's actually the complete opposite.

I don't have to get up early to get out before it gets really mental. I don't have to queue on the tee for 30 mins to go out. I don't get wound up going round because it's so slow and come home in a bad mood having been out for the thick end of 6h. I don't have to abandon medal rounds after 9h because I'm not going to have time to finish all 18.

I have time to do other things on Sunday that I enjoy rather than loosing most of the day to golf.

I still play during the week, just go out for 9 holes, and every so often and play 9 on Sat\Sun PM when it quietens down.

Just playing on my own at the moment and actually really enjoying it. I need to work out what to do in comps as I really enjoy competitive rounds, but that's all Sat\Sun morning and makes things even slower. Also need to figure out what to do in the Winter. Start playing in the morning again, or just not play.

I think we get into such a routine with golf sometimes, making a change seems unthinkable. But glad I did.

My weekends have become relaxing again. Which is what they should be.

I don't agree at all with your last bit.

I love to play golf on Sundays and generally enjoy just being out with the lads and playing.

It sounds like your course is chocca so maybe a move would have been better[if of course that was feasible.

You did make a change but imo it was a negative one and you are missing out on the one thing I actually enjoy in putting myself under pressure and playing competition golf.

Only my opinion everyones different.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't play Sundays much myself anymore used to play an open most Sundays during the season until about 2 years ago.

pace of play is sometimes an issue on Sunday at my home club, so just avoid now.

D

Deleted member 21258

I used to play every sunday at different courses over the years in Essex and had the problems you say completely due to amoumt of people on the course etc(the almost hour wait on the tee, 5 hour round, long traffic jams to get home). I gave up due to work commitments but did not miss the annoyance of what you said, used to drive me nuts.

Moved up north and recently started playing again and the problems are nothing like down in Essex at the weekend mornings. However we now mainly play late afternoons/early evenings during the week and at weekends, OMG it is almost millionaires golf, I am loving it.

Maybe think about playing sunday late afternoons or Saturday late afternoons, you maybe surprised ? (not that it solves the comps issues if you like them)

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't agree at all with your last bit.

I love to play golf on Sundays and generally enjoy just being out with the lads and playing.

It sounds like your course is chocca so maybe a move would have been better[if of course that was feasible.

You did make a change but imo it was a negative one and you are missing out on the one thing I actually enjoy in putting myself under pressure and playing competition golf.

Only my opinion everyones different.

I kind of agree with you. Sundays used to be really enjoyable and loved playing in comps with different PP's and having a great laugh. But over the past couple of years it's just not being enjoyable, and after all we do this for the enjoyment.

Even though I know it was the right choice for me it just surprised me how little I missed playing on Sundays mornings.

I've looked into other courses in the area but I'm hearing a similar story.

For the moment I'm happy with playing after work and getting out late Sat\Sun PM when I practically have the course to myself. When the clocks change, that might be a different story.

Canmore

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agreed - am doing the same right now - although if I can't find time to play during the week I will change back

Playing the occasional game with my wife (a beginner) at the weekends, late in the afternoon which is fun

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I kind of agree with you. Sundays used to be really enjoyable and loved playing in comps with different PP's and having a great laugh. But over the past couple of years it's just not being enjoyable, and after all we do this for the enjoyment.

Even though I know it was the right choice for me it just surprised me how little I missed playing on Sundays mornings.

I've looked into other courses in the area but I'm hearing a similar story.

For the moment I'm happy with playing after work and getting out late Sat\Sun PM when I practically have the course to myself. When the clocks change, that might be a different story.

Played in a 3 ball medal yesterday, 3hrs 45 minutes inc a 10min bacon roll stop, absolutely normal on a Sunday morning at WGCGC. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've stopped playing every Sunday and have used it to work on short game and putting for a few hours before meeting the wife for a pub lunch. Makes a pleasant change from the same eighteen holes twice per weekends and breaks the routine

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In comps we have 3 balls and 9 minute gaps. Hardly ever have to wait and round in 3.5 hours.

Generally I play early at the weekend and usually don't have much waiting. We have 8 minute gaps normally.

We book times at our place from 8am. I would not join a club where you have to turn up and wait your turn.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Turning up and waiting for your turn to go out for up to an hour does seem very outdated. We use BRS to book a tee time in 8 minute slots, so you know when you are going out. Times available from 7am in Summer. Works much better.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
We book times at our place from 8am. I would not join a club where you have to turn up and wait your turn.

For me it's the other way round. I love the freedom to just show up at our golf club whenever I feel like it. I would hate to have to commit to a fixed time in advance. I normally try to avoid the busy times (which are basically just Saturday and Sunday mornings from 9 - 12, all other times are fine, unless there is some scheduled comp or visitors group, which is announced on the website). And even though our club has over 1000 members, it is very rare to have to wait for more than one group to tee off before you get a space.

I also have the feeling that players are more willing to let faster groups through, when they are self organized like that.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Once upon a time I would play every opportunity I could, and practice loads. Summer time would be Saturday, Sunday, league game midweek, knockouts and practicing. Winter time Saturday and Sunday.

Anyway, one divorce later I play Saturday, occasionally midweek and I'm practicing a bit more than I have for years.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Once upon a time I would play every opportunity I could, and practice loads. Summer time would be Saturday, Sunday, league game midweek, knockouts and practicing. Winter time Saturday and Sunday.

Anyway, one divorce later I play Saturday, occasionally midweek and I'm practicing a bit more than I have for years.

So, working steadily towards another divorce BRIAN?