Ben Hogan Clubs

Hoganman1

Visit site
I'm just curious as to if any of my friends "across the pond" are playing Ben Hogan clubs. I played them for years, but switched to Mizuno when Callaway discontinued the brand. They came back several years ago as a direct to consumer online company. After tons of research I just ordered a set of their Edge EX irons just introduced this year. It was a bit of a leap of faith. However, they closely resemble the BH Apex Edge Pro irons I played until six years ago.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't play them myself but they are marketed over here as a discerning choice at a competitive price point. Look decent, although they don't have the old Apex shafts! Hogan isn't quite the same icon over here, though.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've got a set of Plus 1 Bounce sole and a set of Precisions, both Slazenger versions.
I've played the Plus 1 set and they're good, I'm looking forward to playing the Precisions but need to do some work on the grips first.

I understand that the new clubs are very good, better than the offerings under Callaway.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I never realized Slazenger ever produced clubs under the Hogan name. Is Slazenger still a brand in Europe? I first heard of them in the James Bond movie GOLDFINGER. I know they used to have apparel over here in the colonies, but I've never seen their clubs. Didn't Seve play their irons early in his career? I think they were a premium brand back in the 80s.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I never realized Slazenger ever produced clubs under the Hogan name. Is Slazenger still a brand in Europe? I first heard of them in the James Bond movie GOLDFINGER. I know they used to have apparel over here in the colonies, but I've never seen their clubs. Didn't Seve play their irons early in his career? I think they were a premium brand back in the 80s.

Slazenger are still a brand but very much bargain basement rather than the premium brand they used to be; https://store.slazenger.com/sports/golf/clubs

Think of it as a similar demise to MacGregor, who were a renowned brand over here when I was starting to play (the green & white staff bags, the Tourney range of custom clubs, Don White) but haven't been for some time.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
It has the original 35 inch shaft and grip.

Attachments

• 2019-09-02 21.41.52.jpg
    2019-09-02 21.41.52.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

The big difference between the Hogan and Slazenger versions is that the Slazenger ones are stainless steel.

UK produced versions are pretty much straight copies of the Hogan club (below left) but Slazenger Australia produced a few of their own designs (below right).

1622760317550.png 1622760177503.png

Hoganman1

Visit site
I researched them and you're right. Their clubs are really inexpensive and not marketed for advanced players. Their apparel looks nice. I just checked and I have one of their polos bought at Dick's Sporting Goods. I'm really old and remember when MacGregor was the premier brand. I don't know why I never played their equipment back in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I played Titleist, Wilson Staff , Spaulding and , of course; Hogan but never tried Macgregor. I'm glad Slazenger is still around.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I researched them and you're right. Their clubs are really inexpensive and not marketed for advanced players. Their apparel looks nice. I just checked and I have one of their polos bought at Dick's Sporting Goods. I'm really old and remember when MacGregor was the premier brand. I don't know why I never played their equipment back in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I played Titleist, Wilson Staff , Spaulding and , of course; Hogan but never tried Macgregor. I'm glad Slazenger is still around.
Slazenger is, currently, a 'bargain basement' brand - owned by 'the master' of such brands... Mike Ashley - through Sports Direct. The times when it was one of 'the most desirable' brands went some time ago.
It was a set of Hogan irons that eased me away from graphite shafts! My Pro suggested I try steel shafts rather than the graphite (bubbles) I was using. He offered a Hogan Apex 6 iron to compare. The shaft felt very soft compared to the R90s I was using at the time, but the main memory was of how consistent the distance was.
It might have been price that dissuaded you from using MacGregors. Their top irons (and I imagine you only went for them) were forged by Miura, so would have been quite pricey - if not with the super premium that such clubs have today. I have 3 sets of them (PCB Tours) and they are, indeed, gorgeous to hit.
It's great to see the Hogan brand back, though I doubt there'll be Apex or Edge models as Callaway retained those.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Slazenger over here is not the company of the Slazenger/Maxfli days.

The same club had Maxfli branding in the States and R. of W. and Slazenger in Europe

You are correct Seve did play them, it was noticeable his bag was Maxfli Logoed in the States and Slazenger logoed in here. I used to have a Slazenger Seve 1 iron back in 80s.