Belfry - The Aftermath!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I also had the pleasure watching some good golf shots from up near the 18th green after we had finished, some good golfers there today.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Each time I've played there (3 now) I have knocked an iron down the 10th, then boldly declared I am playing a provisional and gone for it with a driver. Protects the score and gives you a shot at it!

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's what I want to know too.
Anyone go for it - anyone make it?

3 out of 4 of our group went for it, the 4th being a junior and was 'advised' by dad to lay-up. Dad on the other hand pulled out his driver, which had pretty much been misfiring all day, and stuck it on the green, 2 putts for birdie! :)

Alex was pretty damn close but his ball found a watery grave, I was nowhere near, hooking OB. :(

Then on the 11th I managed my first ever eagle, what an occasion and setting to record that!!! Something that will forever live in my memory.

Many thanks to all at GM for organising such a fantastic event and special mention to Alex for the company and putting up with us (ok me!) whooping and fist pumping like I had just secured the final point in the Ryder Cup itself! :eek: :D

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm glad you all had what sounds like a great day.

I too disagree with the people that say it's a two hole course, whilst it's short I think the 2nd hole is a fantastic little par 4, as is the first par 5, (think its the 3rd or 4th hole).

Some tricky par 3's on that course aswell, can't really think of one where you can stand on the tee and think "i should make a 3 here".

fade_away

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just like to echo what others have said. Thanks to the GM boys for organising an excellent event and it was good to meet everybody.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
first apologies for no pics as yet, got home to no tv and more importantly no broadband, thanks Virgin. Came back up this morning so I'll be posting tonight. Unfortunately the flash photos of the PGA winners at the prizegiving at dark o'clock won't make it, poor flash couldn't cope with lighting up the course.

huge thanks to my playing partners, HH, GB and Mike on day one; HH, Mark and Ian (soon to join the forum I think) on day two. lots of fun, and lots of laughs made up for some pretty poor golf on my part.

The PGA is the tougher course, more bunkers to the sq in. than you could believe, absolutely criminally penal rough, and pin positions chosen by a sadist.
I did think for a brief moment that as the only one in the group to hit the green on the 7th I'd got the nearest the pin, only to be brought back to earth when we found that the marker was off the green because of a hole-in-one.

The Brabazon is, as Murph said, much more than two holes, it looks (only looks) friendlier, the 'rough' really didn't like letting the ball go, lots of grass cut trying to get out. When the starter casually announced that the greens were playing at 10.5 - 11 on the Stimp meter, faster than the practice green, which felt like putting on ice, it added an extra pucker factor. I think all the group found it a bit inhibiting when the merest touch saw the ball 10 ft past.

Highlights of a poor round was the tee shot on the first, really enjoying the moment waiting to play the second when Matt's rolled past me. I think I redeemed myself with the tee-shot on the 18th, (beat you on that one Matt), beautiful fade to leave it on the fairway past the bunker. Skipping over the second shot, my putt from the lip of the first ridge to 9 in (with the pin in the very top left corner) was satisfying.

A pleasure to meet so many faces, old and new. Now the ice is broken we may see some more names on the forum. A few potential games in prospect, Rob2 and bridging the Watford Gap with Mark and Murph.

Many thanks to the GM crew, Mike, Neil, Jezz and Alex. Space being left in the calendar for next year, and for Goswick2.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I putted pretty well (sank a lot of 6 footers, and didn't miss any tiddlers), and thought the greens were a tad slow, nice, but not quick. Maybe I set too high expectations. I certainly wasn't racing them by, and had a couple stop on the edge.

On the second, I chipped on short (down hill), putted 6 ft short (down hill), and then canned the next one. Not the sign of overly fast greens in my opinion.

Dhanesh was probably the best putter from under 20 foot I have ever played with, til his anger got the better of him. But certainly the first 12 or so holes he was a putting god.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Then on the 11th I managed my first ever eagle, what an occasion and setting to record that!!! Something that will forever live in my memory.

Isn't that a par 4? So you holed your second shot - did you see it go in and from what distance?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I only played the second day, but thoroughly enjoyed playing the Brabazon.

Already mentioned, the fairways were tight, but lush. The rough was penal but fair, and the bunkers well maintained (apart from the fairway bunker on 13, when I finished up in a bloody great footprint). The greens, were quick, and true. All in all the course was set up beautifully.

I came straight out of the blocks, and from memory was on 12 points from the first 5 holes. Just as I was thinking what's all the fuss about, the wheels fell off. And from then on in, had a bit of a mixed bag.

It was nice to see old faces, and meet new. I played with Fade_Away, Wild Rover, and Pete (a mate of mine who came up with me from Devon) good company and a nice four ball. We all had our moments, good and bad. My shot of the day was on the second. After I found the green side bunker for 2, I then left it in there for 3, but hit a majestic 4th and watched it bounce check and then release into the hole. On the 10th, I'm afraid I didn't go for it, I didn't have a card to protect, but even if I hit my Sunday best, I can't carry 240, so instead I played safe and hooked my rescue down the left side of the fairway just at the back of the bunker, then decided to put my second shot in the water.

Cheers to Mike, Jezz, Neil, and Alex and the GM staffers for organising a great day, and Tom for hopefully taking some great snaps.

See you all next year.

I'll gets some snaps up later, once I've worked out hoe to do it.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Dhanesh was probably the best putter from under 20 foot I have ever played with, til his anger got the better of him. But certainly the first 12 or so holes he was a putting god.
He was angry because he kept making putts? :D

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
hi all
I can only agree with everyone who has posted already and say what an excellent couple of days. Really good fun, great to put more faces to names (Herbie can't believe it didn't put 2 and 2 together and realise you were HNJ!!!! - what a complete div I am!).
We are editing pics now so will hopefully have a mega gallery up later today or tommorrow - also have lots of video that we need to edit - probably be next week for that. Footage contains great tops from both me and Tappers!
Roll on 2010

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Dhanesh was angry because his driving and iron play fell apart, when to start with it was on fire. His putting was majestic, though I think I ran him a close (ish) second.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Twiregolf, Pete, Wild Rover, Fade Away

AscotandBelfry021.jpg

Jezz in full swing

AscotandBelfry025.jpg

The 10th....not sure where Murph is, must still be looking for his ball

AscotandBelfry028.jpg

AscotandBelfry031.jpg

New balls please

AscotandBelfry035.jpg

Clubhouse

AscotandBelfry038.jpg

AscotandBelfry034.jpg

AscotandBelfry036.jpg

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Isn't that a par 4? So you holed your second shot - did you see it go in and from what distance?

Yep! - bit of a tale to tell so bare with me.

Pulled my drive left slightly which startled the green staff working on the fairway bunkers down the left, the ball bounced off the front of their 'tractor' and so my second shot was played from the semi-rough at the back of the second fairway bunker 131 yards to the front of the green. Pin was tucked away on the back right, I figured around 155 yards, I pitched a 7 iron onto the front of the green and it just kept on rolling.

I'll quote my brother who was standing next to me waiting to play his second "nice shot Phil....really nice shot....you'll like this.....you'll really like this.... it's in!!!!" At which point I lost the plot somewhat and was probably 3 foot up in the air :eek:

Saw it every inch of the way, as did the 6 or so green staff :)

I am still grinning now :D :D :D

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
hi all
I can only agree with everyone who has posted already and say what an excellent couple of days. Really good fun, great to put more faces to names (Herbie can't believe it didn't put 2 and 2 together and realise you were HNJ!!!! - what a complete div I am!).
We are editing pics now so will hopefully have a mega gallery up later today or tommorrow - also have lots of video that we need to edit - probably be next week for that. Footage contains great tops from both me and Tappers!
Roll on 2010

Thats ok Mike, sometimes I am not sure who I am. :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'll quote my brother who was standing next to me waiting to play his second "nice shot Phil....really nice shot....you'll like this.....you'll really like this.... it's in!!!!" At which point I lost the plot somewhat and was probably 3 foot up in the air :eek:

Awesome! On a golf trip, brother watching, playing at the Belfry, holing out from 155y for your first ever eagle, it doesn't get much better than that unless a troop of visiting cheerleaders take a fancy to you :D

Nice one!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Awesome! On a golf trip, brother watching, playing at the Belfry, holing out from 155y for your first ever eagle, it doesn't get much better than that unless a troop of visiting cheerleaders take a fancy to you :D

Nice one!

Definitely add to the lifetime memory file....brilliant.