Beginner lessons questions

blueboy1905

Visit site
Hello

Whilst having been playing for a few years I am a stubborn 28 handicapper & my game has started to ebb backwards. I typically play a 9 hole course every week.

Not before time I am now planning to take a programme of lessons.I live in Woking, Surrey and am surrounded by golf clubs, many of which offers lessons.
-Through what criteria do I identify the best club to provide a set of lessons for my needs?
- Some clubs offer 5/6 different coaches who offer lessons. Again how do I identify the best coach for my needs ? ie Is there a rating system where others provide feedback.
- Most clubs offer deals of 5/6 lessons, either either for 30 or 60 mins. Cost is not an issue so am I better with the shorter or longer lessons ?
- What is the optimum frequency between lessons ie weekly or fortnightly?
Sorry for all the questions, any advice much appreciated.....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't commit to a series of lessons with someone you don't know.
Ask around for recommendations, go and chat to a few and when you've found someone you click with, book one lesson and see how you get on. As for how often..........depends how often you practice. I would say don't have a second lesson until you've 'perfected' the stuff you learned in your first lesson.
Finally, the most expensive coaches aren't always the best.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think it's nice to do a course of group lessons as a beginner.
It gives a nice blend of instruction and practice without being too intense. You can learn a lot from watching other people learning. Some of them may be future playing partners. All parts of the game are covered. It's cheaper.
Ymmv...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bob is right and word of mouth can be important. To that extent, I'd recommend a guy called Andy Piper based at Lavender Park in Ascot so not miles away from you in Woking http://www.lavenderparkgolf.co.uk/our-professionals/

Always very good with beginners and as per your OP offers packages or an individual lesson if you want to see how you get on with him. As you say there are a plethora of courses around your way so it is hard to know where to go. Ask around your golfing friends.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Bob’s advice is spot on (of course).

I had a series of lessons when I started playing a few years ago with an assistant pro. After a couple of short lessons I knew he was fine and I booked a series of 6. It got me started.

Now, a few years on, I’ve seen the way the club (I’ve just joined) head pro works with the juniors, and I’ve had some inexpensive group lessons with him. As we clicked, I’ve decided to book a series of 6 as I build up to getting a proper handicap.

As to frequency, I’m planning about 3 weeks between lessons which gives me chance to practice a couple of times a week what we are working on, in the practice ground and on the course. I’d suggest spacing them out so you can practice and play a bit in between.