Beginner irons for 13 year old

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My 13 year old son (14 in August) is finally looking for his first set of proper irons. I don't want to get junior irons as he will outgrow them quickly, but am wondering what would be the best option starting out. I have considered Benross Maxspeed 2 or 10 irons as they are very forgiving or the Progen Haema irons. Both retail around £120 which is the sort of budget I am looking at initially. Any other sets I may have overlooked?

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Benross make some fantastic equipment at a fraction of the cost of the more well known brands. You won't go far wrong with their irons.

Cheers, I must admit, I was veering that way! I used to play Ripspeed 2 and they were lovely feel irons. Maxspeed ultra forgiving and they will last him until he is ready to make the next step

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
I have just bought my 13 year old son a used set of cobra bio cell irons only a year old

He loves them and they were under £150

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 13 year old son (14 in August) is finally looking for his first set of proper irons. I don't want to get junior irons as he will outgrow them quickly, but am wondering what would be the best option starting out. I have considered Benross Maxspeed 2 or 10 irons as they are very forgiving or the Progen Haema irons. Both retail around £120 which is the sort of budget I am looking at initially. Any other sets I may have overlooked?

Shouldn't you discuss with your son ??

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I've got the Maxspeed 2 irons (with a couple of hot speed wedges, so I'm 5-LW "speed 2") and I bloody love them. Can't recommend them highly enough.

There's a Pro shop on ebay knocking out the old Speed2/10 ranges for next to nothing. Rip 10 5-PW for £129 or something silly recently. I bought the Rip Speed 10 driver I'm now using from him. Probably worth sending him a message and see if he'd do a deal on irons, driver and fairway/hybrid, then nip into your local pro shop and get some cut down shafts while keeping the ones in at the moment for when he grows a bit?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How tall is he and how far is he hitting it? Would always suggest something pre owned to get value, must be able to get something like an earlyish ping g5/10 or equivalent in a mens reg (if he has the speed for it/is tall enough) for about 150 sheets.

Also look for any Taylormade irons that had a ridiculously short window like the rocketbladez, they were always on offer in shops quickly after release and actually quite nice irons (at least the tour ones).

Worth seeing on the for sale/wanted board, almost guaranteed someone will have something worth looking at.

Last edited:

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How tall is he and how far is he hitting it? Would always suggest something pre owned to get value, must be able to get something like an earlyish ping g5/10 or equivalent in a mens reg (if he has the speed for it/is tall enough) for about 150 sheets.

Also look for any Taylormade irons that had a ridiculously short window like the rocketbladez, they were always on offer in shops quickly after release and actually quite nice irons (at least the tour ones)

Worth seeing on the for sale/wanted board, almost guaranteed someone will have something worth looking at.

He has tried my Adams Blue irons at range and got on with them, hit the 4 hybrid better than any other club. Average height I guess, but thanks, may take a look at golfbidder