Beginner-Friendly Courses in the North West

PrimroseandBlue

Visit site
Hello all,

I'm just starting out with golf, in the middle of lessons at the moment. I'm trying to plan some courses to try out over the next few months- taking it nice and slowly! Does anyone have any tips on any forgiving courses for beginners, or conversely ones that will provide useful challenges to learn from? I'm keen to work my way up slowly and work on technique rather than aiming to just hit my way round and embarrass myself!

My current plan is to tackle the nine-hole courses at Styal, Cheadle, Gatley, Avro and Adlington, and then work up to the 18-hole courses at Styal, Altrincham (I have an invitation to play with a friend), and Davyhulme Park.

Any advice gratefully received!

Crumplezone

Visit site
Sounds like a plan. There are loads more 9 hole courses in the NW. Some have shorter holes than 18 hole course and some are all par 3. A few are as long as an 18 hole course. They're not necessarliy any easier than an 18 hole course though. Nothing wrong with playing the same course a few times. Familiarity with the course will help you score better. Expect not to score particularly well and lose a few balls. It's normal.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Duxbury and Hart common are candidates for this as well. Good tests but lots of bail out areas for errant drives etc.

The Lion

Visit site
Hi. I’m based in Liverpool and we have a couple of suitable 9-hole courses over this way if you fancy an away day. Includes the muni links at Warren, so a chance to learn the ground game too...

PrimroseandBlue

Visit site
Hi. I’m based in Liverpool and we have a couple of suitable 9-hole courses over this way if you fancy an away day. Includes the muni links at Warren, so a chance to learn the ground game too...

Hopefully I'll be able to get further afield sooner rather than later... Sadly doesn't look likely!

Diamond

Visit site
Hello all,

I'm just starting out with golf, in the middle of lessons at the moment. I'm trying to plan some courses to try out over the next few months- taking it nice and slowly! Does anyone have any tips on any forgiving courses for beginners, or conversely ones that will provide useful challenges to learn from? I'm keen to work my way up slowly and work on technique rather than aiming to just hit my way round and embarrass myself!

My current plan is to tackle the nine-hole courses at Styal, Cheadle, Gatley, Avro and Adlington, and then work up to the 18-hole courses at Styal, Altrincham (I have an invitation to play with a friend), and Davyhulme Park.

Any advice gratefully received!

I was in the same position last year. I played Poulton Park, Hartford, Flixton, High Leigh Academy and Knutsford which are all 9 hole courses. I then played Walton Hall (council), Warrington, Dunham, Wigan, Mottram, Lymm, Antrobus and Leigh. Enjoy.