Beer prices

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've not been in the UK since June 2007. I've just spoken to my brother-in-law on the phone and he says that £3 a pint is not unusual, although Wetherspoon's are keeping it down to £1.60! I just don't get it.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im so pleased I no longer drink beer very often, it wont be long before a pint of brandy will match a beer. :eek: hic!

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
On average i pay around £2.50 a pint although the same pubs charge as low as 89p a pint in the day thats something i dont get

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Its not just here that drink is dear though.

The last couple of times we were in spain we paid £2.40-£3.00 for a pint and I remember paying £6.00 for a bottle of magners once.

But then thats down to the crap exchange rate more than anything.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
£2.80 for a Fosters in my local although I can't actually try it and have forgotten what lager (and beer, wine, spirits) tastes like. I think its £2.35 in the clubhouse for a Carling Cold.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've not been in the UK since June 2007. I've just spoken to my brother-in-law on the phone and he says that £3 a pint is not unusual, although Wetherspoon's are keeping it down to £1.60! I just don't get it.

Wetherspoons like some other similar national chains, have a tendancy of aquiring beers close to their use by dates at good prices to sell off cheaply. With the turnover they have they can afford to risk guest beers at unthinkably low prices to the punters, as their is little chance the cheap ale will go unsold.

I remember having enjoyed Theakstons down here in Burton. Okay, it was noticable not as good as I'd get from up in Yorkshire, but a welcome treat none the less. Remember enjoying that at a pound a pint a few years ago.

£2-80 a pint or more round here seems quite normal.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Think we've got it bad? I was in Norway last year, £7 a litre back then...........

Tend to buy most of mine in France, bring back half a dozen cases every 4 months or so and drink at home - 50p for a bottle of Leffe Blonde, can't beat that .....

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
Jeez those guys can sup buying their beer by the litre,no wonder me and my mates lost a drinking contest on a booze cruise against them

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really don't drink beer much these days... possibly a good thing too. & would def' be a good thing if in Norway lol.

In-fact don't seem to drink the spirits I once did either.

Just to get off topic a little I'd love to visit Norway, no matter what their beer prices...

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Long time since I was in Norway; lovely place, lovely people - but don't go near the lakes in summer without plenty of midge repellent.

Back then they could only get imported whiskey via state controlled outlets at a huge price. If I remember correctly we were getting Duty free TFG for £3.50, they would pay £22 :eek: for Cutty Sark (remember it?).

We (Fleet Air Arm) had our own bar - Milliways - (cheapest bar in the Arctic Circle :) ) on a Norwegian Airbase. At the time beer in town was £5/litre - ours 30p/pint; spirits were only served in doubles - white ones - 10p, basic scotch - 30p, malts, woods 100 - 40p.

For some reason the Noggie camp commander banned his guys from our bar. :D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Weatherspoons get a good deal on the beer, as they are a massive outfit with 1000s of branches, and secure national deals on the back of this. They also sell at a very low margin, and rely on food sales for profit.

I like beer from small independants (getting a bit rare these days), but consequently you have to pay more.

My sister's town in Germany has about 9 independant breweries. The hotel I have just stayed in have their own, and only sell the beer in the hotel bar. It is good stuff too.