Be The Coach

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pop quiz for anyone that wants a bash! (But it's really just me asking for advice on behalf of someone.)

The 2 videos below (sorry about the darkness but it was getting late) were taken earlier today and are of my pairs partner, after I offered to have a look at his swing for him.

For your information, he has a dodgy back which he says restricts his follow through.

[video=youtube_share;viebsog7cE4]http://youtu.be/viebsog7cE4[/video]

[video=youtube_share;jT0jE_yMX6o]http://youtu.be/jT0jE_yMX6o[/video]

So, from the videos, can you guess at ...

1) His handicap?
2) His normal shot shape?
3) His main bad shots?

Lastly, bearing in mind that he wouldn't want to get very technical and would be happy with a 'band aid' fix to give him a bit more consistency, what would you suggest if he asked you for help.

"Get a new doubles partner" isn't funny! ;)

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well, as it looks like 2 Italian Flags - White cross on a white background - to me I'm going to have to pass.
Getting a bit racked off as sometimes I can see these vids and sometimes I can't.....

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
not having a clue but judging by the down the line vid...

handicap 18
fade/slice/push right (looks like the ball started left on the swing vid and out to in)
quick fix... shorten his backswing as left arm bends slighty due to over swinging

now can an expert shoot me down for my lack of knowledge :)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It is not possible to see much on the vids. I can see he chickenwings his arms through impact which will tend to keep the clubface open. I would hazard a guess that he hits a high slice. Probably hits it fat.

Handicap, dont have a clue. Just depends how well he can play with his swing and what his short game is like.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, the handicap question was a bit unfair, but it was just a bit of a giggle. The questions I mean, not his swing :eek: :D

I think I may have got the camera angle slightly wrong because my shots look like they went left as well but I remember they were perfick!

Gibbo, he played with us at Beau. He was having a particularly bad day then :lol:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I can only see a club and a hat..:mad:

I'm not even sure it's a fella :mad::mad:

I'm going to take a guess.. it IS a fella?

How did i do?

I wonder if I need to feck with the contrast on my PC.. what can anyone else see? :confused:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
looks like a mid handicapper who hits pull fades (the big issue for me being he comes over the top a bit). His bad shots are most likely a straight pull or a pull slice which misses short right

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
He's a 2 h/cap who hits dead straight shots, bad shot is a pull when he accidentally rolls the face shut. He's 47 and drives an 01 reg people carrier and yesterday he had bolognese for tea... any good?

Tips... practice his putting.

oh yeh.. he hits little push-fades with his driver :p

Last edited:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
ahhh, top bloke then, wasnt he off mid/high teens? I think he hit a lot left aswell so will change my original to pull/hooks

he cracked me up for most of the round :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting replies.

As I said, maybe the camera angle is deceiving but the answers are...

He plays off 14.
Normal shot shape is a draw (or push-draw for James :p)
Bad shots are fat/thin, or left going left.

What I could tell from the video was that he doesn't extend his arms through the ball (chicken wing) and the club has slightly gone past his hands by impact. I think that is caused by him only getting half of his backwards movement back in the downswing.

I asked him to try not to move his head away from the ball so much on his backswing and have his hands a little more forward at address and he hit a few good shots but didn't really stop moving backwards so much.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate it. We have a comp Saturday :mad::cool:

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i'd say is alignment is slightly mixed up, his feet aim straight, shoulders look like they point to the left, looks like the shot goes off to the left, not sure if thats where he meant to hit it