Bar Levy £30 due to be introduced then change of mind!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My last line on this..
If virtually everyone is using up their initial levy within a matter of days/weeks...what is the need for it in the first place?
People are spending....

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Easy to see the logic in having a levy if the F&B is outsourced, whoever took it on were savvy enough to include a levy in their contract, good on them, wise thing to do

If its all-inclusive then why distinguish F&B from any other cost line in the clubs annual budget. Just work out the costs to run course and clubhouse and set your membership fees. I don’t get why food/drink needs its own separate revenue stream

If the majority of members don’t want food and drink then the club doesn’t need to have it. Get the clubhouse sold off and turned into some swanky apartments and lob in a shiney new portakabin as your starters hut. The windfall from the sale of the clubhouse will bring about a massive reduction in annual subs for years to come

But what this screams out is that when clubs themselves separate the clubhouse and the course into two separate entities by having a separate levy, it is the club that are highlighting the ‘car-park golfer’ as some kind of secondary member that needs to be mandated to provide additional funds. Yup it’s the club that everyone pays their membership fees to and are proud to be a member of, who are categorising its members based on how much additional time/money they spend, kinda shocking really

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Bar Levys

Why?

If a club sees a need for it and it works for them why is that stuck in the past? Different business models work at different clubs.

At the end of day we all see things differently I guess. My club doesn't have a bar levy however we do have a prepaid bar system which generates a 20% discount, we just top up if and when required.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why would you run the risk of someone joining or not over paying £30 bar levy? Surely you'd rather have members paying £700+ subs and then going in for a pint/sandwich with it being their choice than someone not joining because of a levy which they don't agree with?

Has anyone ever stopped joining a particular club because there is a bar levy ?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Fair enough but don't complain when standards start dropping at your club.

Why would they? I don't get why a levy will make any difference. If say 95% of the members spend way way more than the levy, is a very few members not spending the levy really going to lead to lower standards of facilities? Can't see it.

Example, Saturday morning, the roll up I play in gets say 24 people. It can be 40 odd, but this time of year 24 is more normal. Nearly every one has breakfast of some sort. Say £6 each. We put £7 each into the pot. This gets spent at the bar at lunchtime. Every 4 ball plays for a 5er. The winners buy lunch. Say £5 each.

So in my roll up alone, every Saturday, we are putting £432 into the club. This is one roll up. There are roll ups every day, most days 3 or more.

I can't see the need for a levy because 1 or 2 guys might go home early.

sunshine

Visit site
Maybe your fees should just cover the course and you pay for everything else as you use it. Car park, showers, putting green, practice ground etc on a pay as you go basis.

This is the best post on this thread. Ultimately, the core product is the same - a round of golf - and we all choose what add-ons we want included or pay separately.

It's like flying. You can pay extra to travel business class and have free drinks, a nice meal, a massage and a generous luggage allowance. If you don't have any luggage to check in you don't get a discount on your airfare. Or you can travel on Ryanair with a base fare then pay extra for everything. It's still the same basic product - paying more doesn't get you there any quicker. And of course there are lots of options in the middle.

There is plenty of choice of golf clubs for everyone to find the right combination of facilities that suits them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Those that don’t have some sort of card and levy....how do you pay for comp entry and the like? Do you have to get cash out or your debit card every time you enter a club comp?
We have a club card that you pay money onto. When you enter the competition via the computer it takes your £2 from that account. You can only enter via this account, you can not hand over £2 in cash. This card also can be used for bar purchases, getting you a 10% discount.

We do not have a levy, we join the club and what we spend after that is up to each individual.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
This is the best post on this thread. Ultimately, the core product is the same - a round of golf - and we all choose what add-ons we want included or pay separately.

It's like flying. You can pay extra to travel business class and have free drinks, a nice meal, a massage and a generous luggage allowance. If you don't have any luggage to check in you don't get a discount on your airfare. Or you can travel on Ryanair with a base fare then pay extra for everything. It's still the same basic product - paying more doesn't get you there any quicker. And of course there are lots of options in the middle.

There is plenty of choice of golf clubs for everyone to find the right combination of facilities that suits them.

Apart from the fact that a Golf Club has fixed costs that are covered by subs. Where do you draw the line? Where do add ons start? A practice net by the first tee? Toilets? A car park? An access road to get you there? "I only play off whiles, I am not paying for the yellow tees? :) " ......if you see what I mean!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone ever stopped joining a particular club because there is a bar levy ?
It could be part of a reason I guess.
Kind of an unfair question because there's absolutely no way to know one way or the other...
Whenever I have changed clubs it has been because of an accumulation of reasons, not one on its own. I doubt any golfer leaves a club because of a levy on its own but that may add to the negative column for some and help persuade them that that club is not the one for them. As a club you want as few things in the negative column as possible and this is a self inflicted negative imo.

D

Deleted member 15344

Kind of an unfair question because there's absolutely no way to know one way or the other...
Why is it unfair ? Does anyone know anyone who hasn’t joined a club because they charge a bar levy ?

Whenever I have changed clubs it has been because of an accumulation of reasons, not one on its own. I doubt any golfer leaves a club because of a levy on its own but that may add to the negative column for some and help persuade them that that club is not the one for them. As a club you want as few things in the negative column as possible and this is a self inflicted negative imo.

But then there are many that see it as a positive ?

If a club gets rid of a levy does the membership fee go down ? Nope but you then loose the money on your card so you will end up paying money over the year ?

A lot of times bar Levys are there to try and encourage and help create a “club” - and yes there is the income stream but then that income stream in 100% of the clubs will go towards the course , remove the stream and remove some funding for the course - , that itself has a knock on effect , poor course , members go , fees go up

But bar Levys aren’t for everyone and as the same with dress codes etc etc - you always have a choice , there will always be a club that will satisfy what you want from a golf club .

D

Deleted member 15344

I did not join Woburn corporate when offered it, due to the bar/card levy, being way to high for my liking.

Yeah I know, theres always one.;):LOL::oops:

It is a high one but then it’s factored into the membership fees - if they removed the card levy ( which can be spent everywhere in Woburn - pro shop , guest green fees etc ) the amount you would have to pay would just increase but it would just be called the membership fee.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why is it a positive? It is an additional tax on members.

An interesting question for those who are at clubs with mandatory levies, what percentage of your members do not use the amount? It is not a loaded question as I don't play somewhere that has one. I am interested to know if the numbers are significant or not. If they are then why are they not enticed in? If not then why bother with it at all?