Bar Levy £30 due to be introduced then change of mind!

D

Deleted member 21258

Sad reading this thread and some of the views of people and the way that they look at others.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our levy is £150 due in June/July.

I don't mind paying it as I go in every Saturday and have brunch after my round. So it gets used.

But I would be quite happy to do away with it as I use 90% of the levy on food which is a 3rd party caterer so the club don't see any of it anyway.

Our club is by far the most expensive in the area but it does have 2 courses and is the best layout/drainage. It is my choice to play there and every time I play I am delighted to be a member of such a great course (well 2).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A club has a number of costs such a Business rates which include a factor for the bar area, electricity in the bar, repairs and renewals for the bar area and some clubs may have staffing costs for the bar.

It is fair that all mebers should pay towards these costs an d not just expect those that use the bar to cover all of these costs.

The simplest way is to have all those costs included in a member's subscription. If members choose not to use something they have paid for it's up to them.

We used to have a bar card (£50), we owned and ran the bar and catering but when you analysed the Accounts in detail we run it all at break even only.

If we had one now (other than voluntary which gets a small discount) all we would be doing is paying the franchisee.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
ours is £50 for food and drink, i don't begrudge paying it as i do use it a fair bit and always have a soft drink or coffee after a round. Maybe top it up every couple of months.

I can see both sides though as a few guys i play with have young families and don't stop that often.
Also quite a few of us don't live in Nairn so always drive to the club and don't use the bar and Resuarant as much as those who live in the town do, so don't get the oppotunity, but are still paying for it esp as its making a massive loss.. last year bar and catereing lost 100K

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Those that don’t have some sort of card and levy....how do you pay for comp entry and the like? Do you have to get cash out or your debit card every time you enter a club comp?

Wolf

Visit site
Those that don’t have some sort of card and levy....how do you pay for comp entry and the like? Do you have to get cash out or your debit card every time you enter a club comp?
Cash or card is doable at ours, we have a club card system that we can top up and use but no levy.

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am against a levy. I probably spend over £30 every week in the club house, so it isn't about the money. We also have a very busy club house, with a good atmosphere. Ok, the food could be better, but that is subjective.
Most of our members use the facilities. Most would blow through the levy in weeks. So what is the point? It is a tax on the few (very few) who don't, and won't actually generate much more cash flow than not having it.
The subs are circa £1600, with a locker and trolley storage. Bunging more on it just looks petty to me.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Oh, and we have a pre-loaded bar card giving discount. You are expected to keep this in credit, but not by any particular amount. Comps are charged to your bar card. It can be used for bar, catering, pro shop soft drinks, comps, social function costs, etc.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cash or card is doable at ours, we club card system that we can top up and use but no levy.
Ok, so if you have a card that you use for comp entry and things, so I don’t see the difference to the club mandating a set figure each year onto your card that can be used for comp entry fees, as well as the bar. If you want to enter those comps, we all know we have to pay for it so what’s wrong with the club mandating a set figure to cover that?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Oh, and we have a pre-loaded bar card giving discount. You are expected to keep this in credit, but not by any particular amount. Comps are charged to your bar card. It can be used for bar, catering, pro shop soft drinks, comps, social function costs, etc.

Our card is similar except for using in the pro shop (he has a separate system set up) but can use it in the bar, for food and for paying comp entries. You can argue that the levy is giving all members £50 in their comp purse instead of looking at it purely in terms of a levy for use in the bar or kitchen. I am sure most must play in some comps (if only to maintain their handicap) even if its the seniors only events or midweek comps.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we have a levy, but all comps are cash, i don't think you can use your card to pay comp fee's

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Our card is similar except for using in the pro shop (he has a separate system set up) but can use it in the bar, for food and for paying comp entries. You can argue that the levy is giving all members £50 in their comp purse instead of looking at it purely in terms of a levy for use in the bar or kitchen. I am sure most must play in some comps (if only to maintain their handicap) even if its the seniors only events or midweek comps.

But why the need to put £50 on it at all? I very much doubt the club spends all of my £1600 fees all in one go, so they must be cash rich at the start of the year. Adding another £50 is taking the mickey.

D

Deleted member 23270

I see a few members (generally older ones that have time on their hands) change their shoes in the car park then drive straight off without stopping for a drink. They come into the bar at the end of the year to buy bottles of wine with the balance on their cards. Ironically they play several times a week so they take a lot from the club but give very little back compared to those that play once a week then spend money in the bar before/after their game.

Wolf

Visit site
Ok, so if you have a card that you use for comp entry and things, so I don’t see the difference to the club mandating a set figure each year onto your card that can be used for comp entry fees, as well as the bar. If you want to enter those comps, we all know we have to pay for it so what’s wrong with the club mandating a set figure to cover that?
Because its about choices . I don’t go into the bar more than probably a handful of times each year, comps wise I could easily go months without entering one due to work times and would rather choose when to spend that money how want than be told I have to have it on there.

You have your preferences and I have mine. I know some guys ’ that will never enter comps or use facilities as it’s merely game they play and get away straight after, they’ve paid their membership and entitled to use it as anyone else is why should they lose money even if it is only £30 just because others are happy to have a levy. By having a choice those that want to top up can and will do many times and those that don’t do their thing. What annoys me is when you see some on here slating others not using facilities or not putting more money in than they have to. Everyone pays a membership fee to play and that’s how it should be. If others then want to spend More in the bar Go for it but don’t force those that to pay for something they won’t use and then say they aren’t supporting the club, they have their support paying their subs there is no obligation beyond that for anyone.

D

Deleted member 23270

The thing that makes me laugh is the amount of money involved equates to about half a golf ball per week. Some of these people that don't want to pay must crap themselves everytime they lose a ball :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 16999

Because its about choices . I don’t go into the bar more than probably a handful of times each year, comps wise I could easily go months without entering one due to work times and would rather choose when to spend that money how want than be told I have to have it on there.

You have your preferences and I have mine. I know some guys ’ that will never enter comps or use facilities as it’s merely game they play and get away straight after, they’ve paid their membership and entitled to use it as anyone else is why should they lose money even if it is only £30 just because others are happy to have a levy. By having a choice those that want to top up can and will do many times and those that don’t do their thing. What annoys me is when you see some on here slating others not using facilities or not putting more money in than they have to. Everyone pays a membership fee to play and that’s how it should be. If others then want to spend More in the bar Go for it but don’t force those that to pay for something they won’t use and then say they aren’t supporting the club, they have their support paying their subs there is no obligation beyond that for anyone.
You make some valid points, but Club finances are not that straight forward, Membership fee figures are derived at by looking at all income streams, so the higher the profit in other areas has a knock on effect.
I agree with the “car park” golfer argument of having no interest in going in the bar as all of us who have a life outside of golf have probably been like that at times.
But those going in the bar, bringing guests to play and taking them in to the bar etc are all helping to keep membership fees down.
If a member purely wants to turn and play and go home fine, but at least some of them should be able to see the membership fee benefits from other members spends in other areas.
If a Golf Course had to survive on membership fees alone, I truly believe you’d see fees rocket in some cases and possibly clubs closing down.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People have the choice whether or not to join the club with a levy , they also are able to express their opinion at the AGM. Decent marketing costs money and if the levy helps bring people into the clubhouse which speaking to people in our club it seems to , it is probably a worthwhile exercise.

Why would you run the risk of someone joining or not over paying £30 bar levy? Surely you'd rather have members paying £700+ subs and then going in for a pint/sandwich with it being their choice than someone not joining because of a levy which they don't agree with?