Bar Levy £30 due to be introduced then change of mind!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lots of anti-levy comments on this thread on the basis of personal choice. So much 'it's all about what I want these days that is important'

Well - when once you have joined a members club it then actually isn't all about personal choice - it's about going along with and doing the collective best for the club. And if what the 'collective' thinks is best doesn't suit any individual then the individual has the personal choice they yearn for and feel they deserve - they choose another club. Simple.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just because you go along with something does not mean you have to agree with it nor that you have to support it. I paid the levy because I had to. Does not mean that I cannot have an opinion that the levy is not a great thing. There are many things in life that I have to do that I do not agree with, does not mean I have to blindly support them like a sheep. I can voice my opinions in a fair and democratic manner whilst complying with the rule in question and rallying against it.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A mandatory £75 bar levy at my course, which gets spent in a month or so. However it's rumoured that a large number of members never spend a penny in the bar and so it is nice earner for the course.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Lots of anti-levy comments on this thread on the basis of personal choice. So much 'it's all about what I want these days that is important'

Well - when once you have joined a members club it then actually isn't all about personal choice - it's about going along with and doing the collective best for the club. And if what the 'collective' thinks is best doesn't suit any individual then the individual has the personal choice they yearn for and feel they deserve - they choose another club. Simple.
I join a club to play golf not become a member of the Borg....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I join a club to play golf not become a member of the Borg....
I was trying to think of a reply to SilH post but I am not well today and my mind was too fuzzy to get the words right. This post however echo's my view and got a laugh as well. Thank you (y)

SilH, I respect your view on this, I just don't agree with it

D

Deleted member 16999

Why is it a positive? It is an additional tax on members.

An interesting question for those who are at clubs with mandatory levies, what percentage of your members do not use the amount? It is not a loaded question as I don't play somewhere that has one. I am interested to know if the numbers are significant or not. If they are then why are they not enticed in? If not then why bother with it at all?
People keep saying it’s a tax, I’m not aware of any tax that once you pay it you get between 110-120% back to what you’ve paid in, more like a sure fire investment with a great interest rate.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Brexit anyone?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Oh the irony ?

Siolag

Visit site
It’s a theme that’s cropped up so forgive me using your post as the most recent but does my highlight mean that those who don’t regularly partake of food and drink should not see themselves as members of the club?

If a ‘member’ doesn’t fill the fruit machine, use the pool table or visit the driving range, short game practice area, putting green etc should they also somehow not see themselves as a member of the club?

They can see themselves however they like. I am not casting judgement on people that don't, merely stating my position and what attracted me to joining a club and in particular, the one I joined.

Siolag

Visit site
Did you join the golf club with your fiancé, or was he already a member? Probably the main reason people have for not stopping in the clubhouse after golf is that they have to get back to their husband / wife. Problem solved if your partner is in the clubhouse already!

She joined not long after me, and yes, it is great we can both play together and have a meal after.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok, so if you have a card that you use for comp entry and things, so I don’t see the difference to the club mandating a set figure each year onto your card that can be used for comp entry fees, as well as the bar. If you want to enter those comps, we all know we have to pay for it so what’s wrong with the club mandating a set figure to cover that?
We have a few people who play at the crack of dawn every day.
They never play in the comps and don’t use the bar .
It’s them that don’t use the levy but that’s their choice!