Banning Songs

sunshine

Visit site
Actually heard this on the radio earlier (on Radio X) and genuinely wondered why it hadn't been cancelled yet. 😄

They don't need to ban the song, just update a few of the lyrics like Fairytale of New York.

"Well I'm not the the world's most masculine man
But I know what I am I'm a non-binary fluctuating gender identity person"

Or something like that.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The first problem BBC radio had with Lola was that Coca-Cola had to be changed to cherry-cola, because of advertising a brand. They had no problem with the rest of the lyrics at first.

They used to be on the alert for any mention of "high" or "higher" in any context.

They also had a problem with a Beatles song, "fixing a hole where the rain gets in", because of the word "fix".

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They don't need to ban the song, just update a few of the lyrics like Fairytale of New York.

"Well I'm not the the world's most masculine man
But I know what I am I'm a non-binary fluctuating gender identity person"

Or something like that.
"I felt the custard pie in my hand and she laughed no more"

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never seen the problem with Lola though. Don’t know what bit is offensive.
Not very trans-friendly is all. If they've banned that IT Crowd episode (the one with April) then I'm surprised they haven't got hold of Lola as well. "I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola" doesn't really fly nowadays, Lola would almost certainly insist on she/her pronouns. 👀

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not very trans-friendly is all. If they've banned that IT Crowd episode (the one with April) then I'm surprised they haven't got hold of Lola as well. "I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola" doesn't really fly nowadays, Lola would almost certainly insist on she/her pronouns. 👀

“Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world”

Hardly transphobic is it? Are trans peeps really bothered by it or is it a “Christmas lights offend Muslims” kinda thing (made up)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
“Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world”

Hardly transphobic is it? Are trans peeps really bothered by it or is it a “Christmas lights offend Muslims” kinda thing (made up)
I have no horse in the race, I was just saying I'm surprised they haven't gone after it yet given the other similar things that they have.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given that it's regarded as an early (first?) example of a positive LBGTQ+ song, I hardly think it likely to targeted on those grounds

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s all just a big wind up. Currently there is a song in the charts called “I might kill my ex” with the lyrics, “not the best idea His girlfriend’s next”. If the whole thing was not a giant wind up to generate news clicks and advertising sales off of it, then songs like the one above would be vetted and not allowed to be released in the first place. Don't fall for it, continue to sing/listen to Delilah!

As I mentioned before, please look at the background of this rather than jump to conclusiions. The WRU are subject to serious accusations of sexism and homophobia including threats of sexual violence to one woman. The banning of the song is absolute tokenism to try and be seen to be doing somethign and that has been seen through by most people but it is not an attempt to get clicks or advertising sales.

With regards the song in the charts, I guess it is not being played over the loud speakers at many sporting matches but, again, look at the facts of the story. The ban is actually just stopping choirs performing at the stadium from performing it There is no wider ban. Again, I suspect most Welsh choirs do not perform the chart hit you mention.

Please be outraged at the WRU for what they are accused of but please also look into the reason for the ban as this all helps bring attention to the real issue.