Balls

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
As a beginner, would the type of ball used really make a difference? Or am I better off just buying the cheapest I can find?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Be careful what you buy don't have anything to do with reverbished balls you never really know what you are buying. A good two or three piece ball should do you fine for now, lake balls off eBay are fine just make sure the seller has good feedback. Premirelakeballs are good to deal with. I have no personal connection with this company.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd go on ebay and buy some lake balls, pearl / a grade. I buy Callaway ones and they cost me around 40p each. As a beginner that is all you need and it keeps your cost down. Worry about buying new ones when you are losing fewer. They will do you okay.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
To anyone starting out I'd recommend the Calaway supersoft, feel like a premium ball and you were able to get 15 ball packs for £20.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
To anyone starting out I'd recommend the Calaway supersoft, feel like a premium ball and you were able to get 15 ball packs for £20.

Agreed on that, they are great balls. If you go to Sports Direct you can pick up the cxr control balls for £11 per dozen and I use those as my main balls, they are that good in my opinion.

The WilsonStaff DX2 balls are also good and are my go to ball in the winter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are a real beginner you should try as many balls as you can and it really will not make much difference.

It is only by trying as many different balls as you can will you work out what type of ball you like - soft, hard or something in between, and it is only when you become better at the game will you work out if you like a ball that lands and runs, one that lands and stops or something in between.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
If you are a real beginner you should try as many balls as you can and it really will not make much difference.

It is only by trying as many different balls as you can will you work out what type of ball you like - soft, hard or something in between, and it is only when you become better at the game will you work out if you like a ball that lands and runs, one that lands and stops or something in between.

Based on what I've seen so far, lands and stops would be the way forward. Short game tends to be quite heavy handed and a little over hit

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Play with what you find, if you like something and can afford it buy then new, if not buy Lakeballs of that type.

I’ve shot some very good rounds with lakeballs despite not being a club member for a few years. A few balls scuff up too quick so I chuck them but I am glad I got lakeballs as there is no pressure if they get lost.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site

Was actually looking at those for that price in sports direct earlier but decided to ask on here first. Will probably give them a try then

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd steer away from refurbished or lake balls. No guarantee what you'll get in terms of quality and there are enough good balls to buy new at a great price. Somewhere like JD sports would be an ok starting point

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
As a beginner, stay away from premium balls - they're expensive and you'll lose too many. Also, your swing speed probably won't be fast enough to get the best out of them.

D

Deleted member 15717

Buy whatever you can afford to lose as a beginner. It won’t really make a jot of difference.

As your handicap drops, or you get better at the game and do not lose quite so many, then look at changing up to something a bit better

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wait for sales and buy an all round decent ball. It works out not a lot more expensive than used. Example - online golf selling E6 for £8 a dozen. A great price for a very good all rounder. Stock up

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
buy a bulk loads of grade a or b balls off ebay. there's no point finding a ball you like yet when every swing you'll put on the ball is different. spend the money most people waste on ball and spend it on lessons.

at this stage the ball ent gonna do nothing for you

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a relative newcomer to golf I'd tried lots of different brands and not noticed a great deal of difference. However I recently bought some Wilson Staff tiDNA balls (24 for £18 in Sports Direct) and have noticed an increased length of 30-40 yards in average tee shots.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
As a relative newcomer to golf I'd tried lots of different brands and not noticed a great deal of difference. However I recently bought some Wilson Staff tiDNA balls (24 for £18 in Sports Direct) and have noticed an increased length of 30-40 yards in average tee shots.

Tried those, were fine for long distance but struggled a lot with short game

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
buy a bulk loads of grade a or b balls off ebay. there's no point finding a ball you like yet when every swing you'll put on the ball is different. spend the money most people waste on ball and spend it on lessons.

at this stage the ball ent gonna do nothing for you

Yeah I've booked group lessons starting 10th sept and looking at individual as well

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No right or wrong. Play what you can afford.

I play Calloway Supersoft because they match my clubs and they are good value but I am sure any ball would be good enough for me

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was actually looking at those for that price in sports direct earlier but decided to ask on here first. Will probably give them a try then
I would go in to sports direct and buy the cheapest they have (new balls). I have noticed that the Slazenger Soft are down to £4.99/doz and I can a see nothing wrong with them for a beginner or an intermediate player.