ball strikes another ball- on and off the green.

Charlie_B1981

Medal Winner
Visit site
this happened over the weekend and caused confusion.

1) on one hole player a chips from off the green and hits player b's ball which is also off the green knocking it to within a foot of the hole.
decision was that as B was off the green the ball shouldnt be replaced and is played at the new position without penalty to either player.

2) on a later hole, player a(off the green) chips and hits B's ball which is on the green near ther hole knocking it further away from the hole. discussion started if the same rule applies or if A should be penalised and B's ball replaced.

i thought player a would only be penalised if he was also on the green.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
No penalty in either case and the ball which was hit must be replaced as close as possible to where it originally lay. The striking ball is played from where it ends up.

I was going to be rude and ask how you got to handicap 11 without knowing that, but I thought better of it.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No penalty in either case and the ball which was hit must be replaced as close as possible to where it originally lay. The striking ball is played from where it ends up.

I was going to be rude and ask how you got to handicap 11 without knowing that, but I thought better of it.

Whilst I agree with what I think you were trying to say - don't forget that B gets penalised in the first example for failing to replace his ball .... :)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst I agree with what I think you were trying to say - don't forget that B gets penalised in the first example for failing to replace his ball .... :)

..... and in stroke play, severely penalised by disqualification as this would to me be a serious breach of playing from a wrong place.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Due to the fact your group had two possilbe outcomes as you had considered replacing player B's ball in both situation this is a prime example of a time to play two balls. One replaced and one not and record both scores, confirm the correct decision after the round. Better yet carry a rule book as this one is very easy to look up.

As said only a penalty if both balls were on the green.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I would have thought it was pretty obvious that the ball would be replaced. If it were a par 3 and, in example 1, the players ball had been lucky enough to have been knocked from off the green into the hole it wouldn't have been a hole in one, would it!

Charlie_B1981

Medal Winner
Visit site
thanks for the replies

palindromicrob- fully agree, we did have a rule book and would have checked but as this was only a knockaround we took the word of the two most experienced.

rosecott- yes it was rude and no need, comments like that only serve one purpose which is for you to try and embarrass others which in turns makes them not want to post questions in the first place. fyi i've been playing about a year and a half and we took the word of two others with 40+ years experience who play of 8 and 4! how about you visit a comp and ask westwood, woods, rory how they got to be pros without knowing basic rules (all of these have been known to ask questions on basic rules in the last 9 months)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Due to the fact your group had two possilbe outcomes as you had considered replacing player B's ball in both situation this is a prime example of a time to play two balls. One replaced and one not and record both scores, confirm the correct decision after the round. Better yet carry a rule book as this one is very easy to look up.

As said only a penalty if both balls were on the green.

What about Matchplay!!!!!

Last edited:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
how about you visit a comp and ask westwood, woods, rory how they got to be pros without knowing basic rules (all of these have been known to ask questions on basic rules in the last 9 months)
the reason they ask rules officials all the time is because once they have the answer they can not be called up on it being incorrect later.

It has nothing to do with them not understanding/knowing the rules !