Ball marker pen - quick Q

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been using a normal sharpie to mark my balls but it's pretty much worn off by the end of the round yet some balls I find have marker that won't move for love nor money.

which marker do I need to buy?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use a regular, small sharpie, 3 dots on the ball and on the rare occasion I am still playing that same ball by the 16 or so, rarely do a full 18 without losing it, the dots are still on there. Sharpies are the markers for most of us I suspect because they work pretty well.

Are you doing solid lines that could wear easier?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have you had a lesson with your pro? A lot of people think they can make random marks anywhere they want but you have to do it properly!

1) The mark should be centred in the bottom of the dimple
2) You should use a strong colour
3) If you strike the ball cleanly so it compresses on the clubface it is more likely to wear off the markings.

So, best thing is to use red, black or blue and thin the ball off the bottom groove. This should solve your problem :thup:

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use a small sharpie and by some miracle, on occasion, gone 4 or more rounds with one. The markings have faded by this time but still visible.
I normally buy my balls online and mark them at home as soon as they arrive. Perhaps the markings have more time to dry properly this way, rather than marking them just before you go to use them.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Some great replies here chaps :)

The sharpie seems to wear off but there's a prov1 I found with a red putting line drawn on and it will not come off. I finished a round with it and then tries scrubbing it off with a scourer and it just won't shift.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wonder if Ross61 comments about marking prior to the round make a difference. Gives the ink a real chance to dry and grip the ball surface. Ink being touch dry is not the same as fully cured ink. Makes sense.

Incidentally, 4 rounds with the same ball. Is that on a proper course, 18 holes, fairways, trees, water, rough etc or is it just crazy golf? I've never heard such madness :rofl:

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
I finished a round with the same ball the other day. Shanked it into the rough off the first tee and couldn't find it. Found it when looking for my approach to the 18th in the same rough.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I finished a round with the same ball the other day. Shanked it into the rough off the first tee and couldn't find it. Found it when looking for my approach to the 18th in the same rough.

Ha ha. Love it. That's about right for me as well. I played in a forum meet a few weeks ago. I reached the 17th tee with the same ball and I was genuinely excited about going all 18 with it. Beezerk came across to the tee box and asked how the round was going. I passed on the news and promptly hooked it massively out of bounds, lost forever. I didn't care about failing to score any points on the hole, I had lost my battered but well loved ball. So close to the finishing line but I failed.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wonder if Ross61 comments about marking prior to the round make a difference. Gives the ink a real chance to dry and grip the ball surface. Ink being touch dry is not the same as fully cured ink. Makes sense.

Incidentally, 4 rounds with the same ball. Is that on a proper course, 18 holes, fairways, trees, water, rough etc or is it just crazy golf? I've never heard such madness :rofl:

Yes a proper 6700 yard course with trees/woods on every hole, a couple of ponds, rough, ditches, OOBs the lot. My secret is I can't hit the ball far enough to lose sight of it!

In honesty I lose on average 1 per round, but sometimes I go mad and hit the ball straight for whole rounds in a row!!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You should definitely write your name, address and add a contact phone number on your ball so it can be returned to you if found. Alternatively, drill a very small hole in the ball, insert a small metal pin and then attached a small label with the information on instead.