Ball limits; should they be changed?

What is your preferred choice with regard to the debate on ball roll back?

• Total voters

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The golf ball roll-back thread has been running for some time and still gets fresh posts, I wondered what the view of the forum was as a whole?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My views on the 'roll-back' debate are keep things as they are but make spectator areas out of bounds for the pros. Narrow the fairways a little. A bit more premium on accuracy might see them reign it in a bit organically. If a player is able to tonk it 350 yards and hit a 30 yard wide fairway, then all power to them.

Definitely not option 3. I would absolutely hate having to play with a ball that doesn't go as far as what I'm used to. I'd basically have to stop playing in winter as I'd be hitting fairway woods for all of my second shots, which would be boring. Game's hard enough for us mortals, I wouldn't want to see anything come in that makes it harder.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
as I said in the other threas, I'm not really fussed, but with those option I would opt for roll back for pros

Just because I think I would rather see them hitting long to mid irons than wedges all the time, will put a real premium on shot control and contact

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Roll back for the pro's alone, and elite comps. They are the ones running out of space on courses. No need to lengthen courses for your average club golfer, that is not where the issue is.

It's a simple solution, no need to over complicate it.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went roll back for all. I think that is where we will end up anyway.

The ball the pros use will become the defacto ball sold, as there is no benefit to manufacturers having a factory line producing a specific tour use ball.

Maybe then, amateurs will tee it forward, and enjoy the game more...rather than constantly trying to play courses as far back as possible.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe then, amateurs will tee it forward, and enjoy the game more...rather than constantly trying to play courses as far back as possible.
I don't know why this is always brought up as an issue. Don't most people play the yellow tees when they go to other courses?? It used to be a thing that you weren't even allowed to play the whites unless you were a member at most places.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know why this is always brought up as an issue. Don't most people play the yellow tees when they go to other courses?? It used to be a thing that you weren't even allowed to play the whites unless you were a member at most places.
Only places I have known stipulate is when on large society days et high end courses. They say you have to go off the yellows. Everywhere else I have been, can play whatever tee you want

wjemather

Visit site
My views on the 'roll-back' debate are keep things as they are but make spectator areas out of bounds for the pros. Narrow the fairways a little. A bit more premium on accuracy might see them reign it in a bit organically. If a player is able to tonk it 350 yards and hit a 30 yard wide fairway, then all power to them.

Definitely not option 3. I would absolutely hate having to play with a ball that doesn't go as far as what I'm used to. I'd basically have to stop playing in winter as I'd be hitting fairway woods for all of my second shots, which would be boring. Game's hard enough for us mortals, I wouldn't want to see anything come in that makes it harder.
Regardless of how you do it, the research shows that narrowing fairways beyond a certain level puts even more of a premium on distance over accuracy.

Unless you have clubhead speed anywhere near that of tour players, and their consistency of strike, and play a brand new tour quality ball of the same make/model every time you play, you wouldn't notice the difference.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Leave as is, cutting 15% off the distance is not really going to effect the tour players, just means they're hitting 300 yds instead of 330 etc. That in turn means they have to hit a 9 iron instead of a wedge for the second shot..... These guys have worked hard to improve their physical abilities as much as their golf skills, they shouldn't be penalized for that, the simpler way to affect their game is to set the courses up with deeper rough and first cut ala the PGA last month. let the rough grow in a bit for tournaments, get the member argument, but if you're hosting a tour event, the course is going to be "adapted" for a few weeks beforehand anyways. There's plenty can be done on the course, the richer courses could also move bunkering if they're hosting annually. Personally I'm not in favour of changing the equipment just because the player improved himself, a bit like getting Usain Bolt to wear lead shoes because he's faster than anyone else.

Springveldt

Visit site
I went roll back for all. I think that is where we will end up anyway.

The ball the pros use will become the defacto ball sold, as there is no benefit to manufacturers having a factory line producing a specific tour use ball.

Manufacturers already do this though, that's why we have "tour balls" like the Pro V1 left dash and plus. Also I'm sure Callaway had different Chromesoft balls for Michelson and Schauffele which we much firmer than the Chromesoft they were selling to the masses. There is no way Titleist and the rest can market a new ball to amateurs saying "£50 a dozen to go 30 yards less!". If that ever happens I'd be stocking up on the old balls as will every other amateur on the planet.

I've voted for roll back for Pro/Elite players as they are the ones that are hitting it too far not us weekend choppers.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no way Titleist and the rest can market a new ball to amateurs saying "£50 a dozen to go 30 yards less!

As has already been stated many times, unless you have tour level speed and consistency, a ball roll back will not affect amateurs in any noticeable way. If you currently hit it 220 off the tee, you will still hit it 220 (maybe 219). Amateurs thinking they will lose 30 yards are clueless or do not understand. Same as those who constantly say 'just grow the rough' and 'plant more trees'. They have zero clue either.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
As has already been stated many times, unless you have tour level speed and consistency, a ball roll back will not affect amateurs in any noticeable way. If you currently hit it 220 off the tee, you will still hit it 220 (maybe 219). Amateurs thinking they will lose 30 yards are clueless or do not understand. Same as those who constantly say 'just grow the rough' and 'plant more trees'. They have zero clue either.

Ha ha, harsh but yet the loss in distance will be incremental surely. Pro loses say 30 yards, average amateur would lose less than half of that.

sjw

Visit site
Leave as is, cutting 15% off the distance is not really going to effect the tour players, just means they're hitting 300 yds instead of 330 etc. That in turn means they have to hit a 9 iron instead of a wedge for the second shot..... These guys have worked hard to improve their physical abilities as much as their golf skills, they shouldn't be penalized for that, the simpler way to affect their game is to set the courses up with deeper rough and first cut ala the PGA last month. let the rough grow in a bit for tournaments, get the member argument, but if you're hosting a tour event, the course is going to be "adapted" for a few weeks beforehand anyways. There's plenty can be done on the course, the richer courses could also move bunkering if they're hosting annually. Personally I'm not in favour of changing the equipment just because the player improved himself, a bit like getting Usain Bolt to wear lead shoes because he's faster than anyone else.
How about letting the grass grow nice and thick, and also removing ball spotters? Let the pros kablooter the ball as much as they want, but if they lose it, tough. Penalty strokes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do we know for that sure? If a pro will hit it 300 yards instead of 330, then that's 91%. 91% of a 220 yard drive is 200 yards.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do we know for that sure? If a pro will hit it 300 yards instead of 330, then that's 91%. 91% of a 220 yard drive is 200 yards.

You’re using a linear equation there, won’t it differ as the ball will be affected differently by slower swing speeds? As a bit of a physics nerd I’d be interested in seeing some data on this, if it actually exists.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Went for 2nd option (pros etc) just to stop those courses having to lengthen again in the coming years

Home club had to put in 3 new tee boxes for the ET despite the tips already being over 7,000 and they now sit pretty much unused (and with 5 sets of tees not that many ever play off the tips anyway)