Ball in the wrong hole?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Temp greens on this morning because of the frost. Our 8th is a dog leg, i hit my drive to the corner of the dog leg. 2nd shot is normally over a big bunker to the green which is about 30 yards past the bunker, partially obscured.

i could see the flag for the temp green behind the bunker, but nothing of the temp green itself. I hit a beauty of a 6 iron which flew over the bunker, and thought "that's got to be close".

When we got up to the temp green, there was no sign of my ball. We had a good hunt for it without success. I was pretty hacked off until one of the PPs had a look in the hole on the normal green, and found it in there!

None of us knew the correct course of action, so we agreed i could place it beside the hole without a penalty, and play from there. I putted it off the proper green onto the temp green and eventually holed out.

In the very unlikely event that it ever happens again, how should we treat it under the rules?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just found it - after a bit of a search:

25-3. Wrong Putting Green
a. Interference

Interference by a wrong putting green occurs when a ball is on the wrong putting green.

Interference to a player's stance or the area of his intended swing is not, of itself, interference under this Rule.
b. Relief

If a player's ball lies on a wrong putting green, he must not play the ball as it lies. He must take relief, without penalty, as follows:

The player must lift the ball and drop it within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green. When dropping the ball within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, the ball must first strike a part of the course at a spot that avoids interference by the wrong putting green and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green. The ball may be cleaned when lifted under this Rule.
Penalty for Breach of Rule:

Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just found it - after a bit of a search:

25-3. Wrong Putting Green
a. Interference

Interference by a wrong putting green occurs when a ball is on the wrong putting green.

Interference to a player's stance or the area of his intended swing is not, of itself, interference under this Rule.
b. Relief

If a player's ball lies on a wrong putting green, he must not play the ball as it lies. He must take relief, without penalty, as follows:

The player must lift the ball and drop it within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green. When dropping the ball within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, the ball must first strike a part of the course at a spot that avoids interference by the wrong putting green and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green. The ball may be cleaned when lifted under this Rule.
Penalty for Breach of Rule:

Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.

Just in case anyone is thinking "but it's not on the green, its in a hole" you have 25.1 confirming that a hole made by a green keeper is GUR. (Confirmed in 16-7)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

but remember this changes on 1st January.