Ball hitting ball on the green

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Heidi, ALWAYS carry a rule book in your bag for this exact reason. Hand your lady captain the book and ask her to show you the rule.
oh i do bobmeister, i do! i caught her out on sunday trying to get a drop - i had the rule book at the ready

also noticed that when she walks up to her ball lying on the fairway, she touches it and moves it to identify it - am waiting for a suitable moment to penalise that one! ;)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
whats the ruling on this similar situation. player A ,is on the green 3ft left and 4ft passed the hole, player B is on the front of the green and is asked if he wants the ball marked, he says no thanks im not that blind ! and putts , but missreads and over hits . his ball is heading towards player A's ball. can player A rush and mark his ball while the other ball is in motion . or can any of the other players or caddies mark the ball

No. See Note 2 to Rule 22-2:

When another ball is in motion, a ball that might influence the movement of the ball in motion must not be lifted.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
oh i do bobmeister, i do! i caught her out on sunday trying to get a drop - i had the rule book at the ready

also noticed that when she walks up to her ball lying on the fairway, she touches it and moves it to identify it - am waiting for a suitable moment to penalise that one! ;)

What do you mean noticed? (Edit sounds harsh not meant to be - Can you explain what you mean by noticed)

Is she announcing her attention to lift the ball for identification?

Do you get to see her do this (observe the identification procedure)?
Is it obvious that it's her ball and she's lifting to identify anyway?
Is she cleaning it more than neccessary, improving the lie or puting it back in a different spot?

No offence, but what's a suitable moment?

Would it not be better to bring this rule to her attention before a round and explain it to her if neccessary or ask her to explain that rule to you. That may give the opportunity for her to reflect on her actions and consider how legit they are. Hopefully, that should help to avoid any confrontation, avoid penalties and hopefully help with the integrity of the competition as a whole. It'll be around rule 12 searching for and identifying ball, with rule 20, 21 on lifting, dropping etc and cleaning maybe coming into play.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely agree with this. The time to mention it is after a round in the clubhouse. Something along the lines of "I couldn't help noticing that you ....... and you really need to know for the next time that's against the rules."

All you need for this one, by the way, is in Rule 12-2.

Edit
As an afterthought, you don't need to be as blunt as saying it's against the rules - just say that there is a correct procedure for identifying your ball which she might want to check up on before the next time.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I don't agree with the other posters who say to tell her in the clubhouse. It may be a more radical way of bringing it to her attention but why not smack her round the head with your pitching wedge and then show her the rule book afterwards?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't agree with the other posters who say to tell her in the clubhouse. It may be a more radical way of bringing it to her attention but why not smack her round the head with your pitching wedge and then show her the rule book afterwards?

This comes from the forget the tactful farting around sock it to them straight school of thought. ;)

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

If she has decent clear markings on her ball. there is no reason to touch or move the ball on the fairway

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What do you mean noticed? (Edit sounds harsh not meant to be - Can you explain what you mean by noticed)

Is she announcing her attention to lift the ball for identification?

Do you get to see her do this (observe the identification procedure)?
Is it obvious that it's her ball and she's lifting to identify anyway?
Is she cleaning it more than neccessary, improving the lie or puting it back in a different spot?

No offence, but what's a suitable moment?

Would it not be better to bring this rule to her attention before a round and explain it to her if neccessary or ask her to explain that rule to you. That may give the opportunity for her to reflect on her actions and consider how legit they are. Hopefully, that should help to avoid any confrontation, avoid penalties and hopefully help with the integrity of the competition as a whole. It'll be around rule 12 searching for and identifying ball, with rule 20, 21 on lifting, dropping etc and cleaning maybe coming into play.
i noticed it on the 2nd last hole in our matchplay - cos for once our tee shots were in the middle of the fairway and we both walked up together. Her's was obviously the first one we came to - mine was 40 yards further down - she bends down, touches it with her finger, rotated it back slightly and says nothing, just chooses a club and sets up. As it moved back into its original position I didnt say anything. Then after our match finished we played the last few holes and again i noticed she did the same thing when she got to her ball. I've played with her loads and this is the first time i've noticed it - its a very odd thing to do when
1. it was her ball and it was on the short stuff and nowhere near any rough so no need to touch it!
2. the markings were clearly visible on the top of the ball

I think its some kind of new bad habit she's picked up - and i'll mention it to her quietly at some suitable moment when i next see her! ;) no need to wrap clubs round her neck just yet!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think its some kind of new bad habit she's picked up - and i'll mention it to her quietly at some suitable moment when i next see her! ;) no need to wrap clubs round her neck just yet!

exactly, and as the incidents you observed were not during strokeplay competition you have no requirement to do or say anything.

however, I would speak to here soonest, not least because you have highlighted it here!

I'm sure you've looked up 12-2, but if she wishes to even touch the ball she is required to advise her FC or opponent first, then mark the ball before proceeding...

it's easy to drop into such habbits, usually triggered by playing a wrong ball!

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
exactly, and as the incidents you observed were not during strokeplay competition you have no requirement to do or say anything.

however, I would speak to here soonest, not least because you have highlighted it here!

I'm sure you've looked up 12-2, but if she wishes to even touch the ball she is required to advise her FC or opponent first, then mark the ball before proceeding...

it's easy to drop into such habbits, usually triggered by playing a wrong ball!
indeed dunc - i'll see her on thurs and as she is playing a greensomes comp on saturday then i'll just remind her not to touch her ball til she's on the green - excluding rough! Dont want her collecting penalties from 2 strangers! ;)